Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: Driving to MD tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by jesemd View Post
    Having moved from Maryland not too long ago and still working there every day I have just one thing to say.....

NO. NO WAY. NO HOW. LEAVE IT AT HOME.
    Me too, it sucks going naked M-F. But as you said, it is a must

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by RRHemi View Post
    Me too, it sucks going naked M-F. But as you said, it is a must
    Not too bad just going back and forth to the office. Its a respectable area during business hours. I do try to minimize my time spent in MD, even gas stops and errands.

Since I have been CCing full time when I am in PA, I really felt naked spending 10 days in Ocean City this summer. A few times on the Boardwalk I thought to myself that I was glad I had my 9mm and then realized its hundreds of miles away in the safe and I puckered just a little.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    No, FOPA does not apply to you in this situation because MD is your destination. If you were passing through MD to another state where you could possess such as Virginia, then FOPA covers you while traveling THROUGH maryland. FOPA does not allow you to transport a firearm, regardless of the loaded or locked condition, into a state that doesnt allow you to possess it at the destination. Unfortunately you need to leave the gun at home.
    Yep.

(Allegheny County)

I see FOPA brought up as a defense on a lot of these situations here.

Has anyone here actually ever used FOPA as a defense and been allowed to go on their merry way ?

I travel back and forth to Maine quite a bit and never take anything through NY or Massachusetts. I would see how FOPA may be a defense if I got caught, but after sitting in jail, making bail and paying an attorney I just leave everything at home.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    I see FOPA brought up as a defense on a lot of these situations here.

Has anyone here actually ever used FOPA as a defense and been allowed to go on their merry way ?

I travel back and forth to Maine quite a bit and never take anything through NY or Massachusetts. I would see how FOPA may be a defense if I got caught, but after sitting in jail, making bail and paying an attorney I just leave everything at home.
    You'd probably have lawyers begging you for your business when you sue for false arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
    I guess you're right, since I'm stopping in the state then driving back out of it. MD is not a state I want to go to, but I"m being given a set of steel rims for my Jeep for winter tires for only the cost of gas to drive there and back. It's cheaper than the price quoted me for a set of 4 steelies at the salvage yard...and these come with a set of snow tires with about 50% tread left.

It's a gamble...One I'm not so sure I want to take, now.
    you'll be fine for the 13 seconds you're going to be out of your car. Hell I've spent weekend in MD/DC without any weapons and had no issues

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    You'd probably have lawyers begging you for your business when you sue for false arrest.
    No lawyers will be lined up and there will be no lawsuit. New York City in particular WILL arrest you and you WILL sit in jail. They may lose eventually but you will be ruined. It is not a false arrest because carrying a handgun in your vehicle even unloaded and cased without a License from the NYPD is a violation of the law. The FOPA should get you off when you get to court. There is no penalty in the law for cops who ignore the FOPA.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by clarencecoffee View Post
    No lawyers will be lined up and there will be no lawsuit. New York City in particular WILL arrest you and you WILL sit in jail. They may lose eventually but you will be ruined. It is not a false arrest because carrying a handgun in your vehicle even unloaded and cased without a License from the NYPD is a violation of the law. The FOPA should get you off when you get to court. There is no penalty in the law for cops who ignore the FOPA.
    Not the case if traveling to an NRA sanctioned event, especially if held on Long Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Not the case if traveling to an NRA sanctioned event, especially if held on Long Island.
    That wouldn't fall under FOPA, would it? That would fall under NY law for exceptions, assuming they have any, since your destination is NY.

IANAL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123