Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default that good or that bad...

Ok so I've only been hunting a few years, just deer and turkey seasons. First year or so I was really bad, saw/heard nothing. Still haven't gotten anything, but the past 3 times out here's what's happening. Spring gobbler season, pick apparently a perfect spot, saw 2 birds which I should have shot but didn't realized they were bearded until it was too late. Couple weeks later heard a few and was calling them in then they stopped. Now deer season I picked a spot based on scouting last may, go in to set up and boom. I spooked a few bucks that were apparently sleeping right where I was gonna set up. the one was a little ticked (snorting and stomping) and I thought he was gonna charge. Unfortunately no arrow in my bow at the time.

So my question... is this stuff common for new hunters, like stumbling upon game and not being able to get anything, or am I pretty good at picking hunting spots. Reason I ask it because I'm getting conflicting answers from people I know, anywhere from that's really good to I'm the Charlie brown of hunters...

Also second question, is it likely they will be back at that spot now if I go back in a few days/weeks?
    Last edited by jlb0305; September 26th, 2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: 2nd question

Default Re: that good or that bad...

Normal stuff...happens all the time.
    If you are kicking deer out of their beds in the am chances are you are not getting out early enough.
    Heading out in the afternoon is always risky to kick up deer. I can't remember how many huge bucks I've bumped heading out in the afternoon.
    Snorting and stomping is a typical reaction/warning deer use all the time. They're not going to charge.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

. They're not going to charge.[/QUOTE]

Every year you suckered one of them into getting stomped half to death by telling them "deer won't charge". It's surprising you haven't made any enemies.

Now the OP will really be on High Alert in the woods.
    Bwahahaha

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    Ok so I've only been hunting a few years, just deer and turkey seasons. First year or so I was really bad, saw/heard nothing. Still haven't gotten anything, but the past 3 times out here's what's happening. Spring gobbler season, pick apparently a perfect spot, saw 2 birds which I should have shot but didn't realized they were bearded until it was too late. Couple weeks later heard a few and was calling them in then they stopped. Now deer season I picked a spot based on scouting last may, go in to set up and boom. I spooked a few bucks that were apparently sleeping right where I was gonna set up. the one was a little ticked (snorting and stomping) and I thought he was gonna charge. Unfortunately no arrow in my bow at the time.

So my question... is this stuff common for new hunters, like stumbling upon game and not being able to get anything, or am I pretty good at picking hunting spots. Reason I ask it because I'm getting conflicting answers from people I know, anywhere from that's really good to I'm the Charlie brown of hunters...

Also second question, is it likely they will be back at that spot now if I go back in a few days/weeks?
    finding where they are is the hard part. Now get set up to hit them when they decide to go from resting to feeding, or back again.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    If you are kicking deer out of their beds in the am chances are you are not getting out early enough.
    Heading out in the afternoon is always risky to kick up deer.
    This was ~530-6am with hunting hours starting @ ~6:20a.

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    This was ~530-6am with hunting hours starting @ ~6:20a.
    Then I'm guessing you didn't jump them from their beds. You may have been pushing them and didn't realize it. That happens all time. Pretty rare for deer to bed down that early. Could be different in different parts of the state based on food etc.

If it happens often you need to find another way in down wind.

I've found that you typically want to hunt where deer travel to and from feeding/bedding. Not on top of those locations.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Then I'm guessing you didn't jump them from their beds. You may have been pushing them and didn't realize it. That happens all time. Pretty rare for deer to bed down that early. Could be different in different parts of the state based on food etc.

If it happens often you need to find another way in down wind.

I've found that you typically want to hunt where deer travel to and from feeding/bedding. Not on top of those locations.
    I came in down wind that's why I was about 10-15 ft from them before they noticed me. Based on my scouting in May I thought I was between bedding and food. I think there was just more deer in the area that I realized back in May.