Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New to Pittsburgh, a place to shoot handgun and/or zero a rifle?

Greetings PAFOA'ers.

I moved to PA in the spring and haven't been shooting yet. Now my nephew got his first gun, a 30.06 deer rifle, and he needs shooting/safety lessons and we need to zero it for him.

I also want to shoot some handguns at some point. What are my options around here?

A few considerations:

• I HATE shooting indoors.
    • When shooting pistols, I want to practice drawing, double-tapping, rapid fire drills, etc.
    • Steel target practice with pistol is a bonus but not necessary.
    • I realize both rifle and this type of pistol practice may not be possible at the same location
    • I would like to establish a membership at a club or range at some point.

Thanks in advance.

Maestro

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: New to Pittsburgh, a place to shoot handgun and/or zero a rifle?

Pittsburgh is a big town... Might want to specify where in Pittsburgh you are.... Unless you want to drive an hour or so to a range.

(Allegheny County)

Look into monroeville Pitcairn sportsmen club

(Allegheny County)

Yeah... North Hills, South Hills, Penn Hills (we have a lot of hills don't we?), somewhere else?

If you want a place to just zero that rifle, the State Game Lands 203 range in Wexford will work if you have a hunting license (with which you are permitted 1 guest), or a range use permit (which is MORE expensive than a hunting license). There's also a pistol range there. Be forewarned, the rules are rather strict (no drawing from holsters, loaded magazine limits), and there can be some not so smart/not so safe patrons there at times.

I'm a member at Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, as are many others, even though it's a 45 minute drive for me. They cater to everyone there, from the tactical shooter to the hunter. And, (now that they're accepting new members again), membership is actually open, which was an issue I found with other clubs when trying to find a place to join. You need a sponsor, but pretty much anyone will sponsor you if you show up at a meeting (or I'd be glad to!).

Also another note, be aware that you (or your nephew) cannot use that 30-06 for deer hunting in Allegheny county. It is a "Special Regulations Area." Shotgun with slugs.

(Beaver County)

You may want to look into Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club, depending on your location

http://www.bvrpc.org/
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will...

(Allegheny County)

I will definitely become fully acquainted with PA law as I attempt to work with my nephew. I have never hunted, so I appreciate that tip. I will explore all of the suggestions from everyone.

Much gratitude for the info.

(Allegheny County)

I am in the Beechview area. It would be nice to have a place close, but I'll drive as necessary.

(Chester County)

Yes, find a range to shoot, especially on Sundays as the Steelers certainly aren't an option, especially when they play the Eagles. LOL!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    I will definitely become fully acquainted with PA law as I attempt to work with my nephew. I have never hunted, so I appreciate that tip. I will explore all of the suggestions from everyone.

Much gratitude for the info.
    Both of you (if you've never hunted before) will need to take a Hunter/Trapper course before you can hunt in PA.

Check out this site: http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Hunte...s/default.aspx
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I am interested in seeing, possibly joining this club.http://www.bvrpc.org/
    Is there a member with whom I could discuss that possibility? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Maestro; October 14th, 2016 at 02:56 PM.