Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bush Administration Appealing Congressional Subpoenas

You know I'm starting to miss Nixon, at least he didn't continue to waste our money asking court after court to throw out all accountability for the white house .... I mean seriously, do they think they are a sovereign nation or something?

http://www.republicbroadcasting.org/...articleID=1197

Now granted I'm no fan of this congress either but this is out and out "we won't tell you what we did" BS

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Bush Administration Appealing Congressional Subpoenas

I'm just wondering where the cries of "vast left-wing conspiracy" are. Seriously. People were fired. They were appointed staff. He wanted to unappoint them. Putting the screws to his personal advisors is just blatantly foolish IMO. Do we really want our next president (think if it were Obama) to be afraid to ask advisors about anything for fear that they may be questioned one day? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    You know I'm starting to miss Nixon, at least he didn't continue to waste our money asking court after court to throw out all accountability for the white house ....
    But not like Congress continuing to waste our money by making attempt after attempt after attempt to trot out members and former members of the administration for a dog and pony show in front of the cameras in order to gain some political points for upcoming elections?

(Allegheny County)

the people who were fired were not political appointees. they were career prosecuters. that is a the key point.

it is fine and dandy for politics to factor into hiring and firing for political appointee postitions. it is against the law for poltiics to factor into the hiring and firing of career prosecuters.

what happened in this case was pretty clearly a violation of the law. and investigation is most definitely warranted and criminal charges are probably warranted as well...of course, we need the investigation to determine what, if any, charges should be brought and against whom.

everyone who is against this investigation should think about how you would feel if the shoe were on the other foot. what if a democrat president fired all pro-gun federal prosecuters and replaced them with anti-gun prosecuters based on nothing more than their position on gun control? whould you think that violation of the law should be swept under the rug, too?

on a more fundamental level, we absolutely must maintain transparency of government. it is just as, perhaps even more, important as the second amendment when it comes to maintaining the balance of power between the people and the government. a government with no oversight is tyranny waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
    But not like Congress continuing to waste our money by making attempt after attempt after attempt to trot out members and former members of the administration for a dog and pony show in front of the cameras in order to gain some political points for upcoming elections?
    So you are basically saying no matter HOW MANY laws the Bush administration broke, no matter how many times they lied we should just "get over it" ... where the hell is the justice in that?

This isn't about a president and his staff getting "hummers" in the oval office, this is about high crimes and misdemeanors and god dammit someone has to be held accountable. This presidency (all 8 years of it) has become a stain on the white house, a stain on what this country is supposed to mean and a stain on the world's vision of America. Sorry if that means nothing to you but to most of us it means a hell of a lot!

I' be DAMN curious how your attitude would change had this been a corporate crime instead of happening within the white house.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

First off I don't know that the firing of these prosecutors is a high crime. Misdameanor maybe I don't know enough about the situation. If you think the world gives a flying fuck who our president is look at history a bit more. Europe has had a chip on their shoulder since we became a major player in the world. Who are we but a young country that has out done Europe at every step. Europe has had to rely upon the US too many times for them to not have resentment regardless of who our president is. Also I don't think most Europeans dislike the US nor does "most of the world." I've traveled enough and met enough people around the world to see that we are not held as evil Americans by "the rest of the world."

The government (all of them not just "this administration" or Bush) has for DECADES been eroding the freedoms this country is based on. Spit the vitreol at all of them. I keep hearing the litany of "lies" and most of them are total BS. I hate to tell you, but a lot of the shit people blame Bush for had roots back to Clinton at least. Look up Project Echilon. It sort of makes the Patriot Act seem quaint.