Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Cardiac episode, taken to hospital with "No Guns" sign

My recent hospitalization for a heart issue and subsequent cardiac rehab has caused me concern about carrying while doing the walking outside that the doctors ordered. My concerns are 1) if I was to collapse unconscious or semi-conscious after a cardiac episode, what is to keep some scumbag from stealing my gun? A friend of mine was killed in a car wreck and the gun he was carrying seems to have disappeared; and 2) it seems most hospitals have posted "No Guns" signs. Can they refuse to admit me or treat me because I have a legally licensed gun on me, even if I'm unconscious?

Am I just being overly paranoid, or has this crossed anybody else's mind?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Cardiac episode, taken to hospital with "No Guns" sign

My wife attended a meeting at her hospital where the head of security advised the mgmt that guns weren't prohibited and there is nothing they can do if they see someone carrying. If you are being treated and they come across your weapon, they will need to have Security come and keep it for you or your spouse. Same goes for knives, and other items that are not just your run of the mill effects.

(Allegheny County)

1. Yes
    2. No

They find you unconscious and they secure the gun. The end.

(Tioga County)

You can ask the hospital how they handle it.

The hospital near me, they will secure your pistol in a special locker and contact your emergency contact to come and get it. After a period of time if no one shows to pick it up they will turn it over to the local police department.
    USNRET '61-'81

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Berks County)

You will not be refused treatment. I have worked in healthcare for over 30 years and even if a hospital has a no weapons policy and you are brought in for treatment the hospital will secure it. Usually the Security Department will do this. But you will never be refused treatment. As for someone taking your weapon if you collapse on the street? I never really thought about that but I am sure that it can and does happen. You can't control people's actions and unfortunately there are people out there that will take advantage of people in a compromised physical state. Sad but True. Hope you are feeling better and stay in good health

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    My wife attended a meeting at her hospital where the head of security advised the mgmt that guns weren't prohibited and there is nothing they can do if they see someone carrying. If you are being treated and they come across your weapon, they will need to have Security come and keep it for you or your spouse. Same goes for knives, and other items that are not just your run of the mill effects.

What hospital & is there anything in writing?? I would be intersted because it is a common problem that has not been widely addressed.

bureau Of EMS policy prohibtes any weapon on ambulances. This is a blanket prohibition for everyone who is not a LEO. He State protocols are in direct contradiction to the EMS act - however if you follow the EMS act you can not put anyone into your ambulance who is carrying a firearm. If you follow the BLS protocols and secure the weapon & you do not have a LTCF you are in violation of the UFA, because you the EMS provider is now in control of the firearm. Meaning a serious misdemeanor or felony, depending on your status. If you the control of your firearm to someone who does not use a LTCF - also a crime.

Obviously if it is the serious call (which is not most) and the person is not competent to maintain possession of the firearm safety - you would obviously be protected because you would not be mentally competent - the EMS provider should be covered because securing the firearm is prudent.

Cops may or may not be willing to secure a firearm not used in a crime. Cops do not regularly come to EMS calls, and 83% of the Commonwealthis covered only by PSP. I've worked in areas where PSP was not in a hurry to come help EMS or flatly refused, even with sucidial or other serious patients. In other areas PSP was great, but you still run into a limited number of troopers, and God only knows if they know how to handle the situation. In my experience they try to keep the firearm the family, not take it back to the barracks.

I tried to have a conversation with a person at the State EMS office: the facts of the law; that 1 in 8 adults have a LTCF (not counting hunting) that following EMS "rules" would cause EMS providers to be medically negligent or be guilty of a crime, as well as perhaps making the patient a criminal. What I got was "guns don't belong on ambulances, and the rules include x amount of civil lilabity coverage.

I also wonder about hospital security securing the firearm in any hospital that does not have armed security. What is their legality of having control of a firearm?

I am not a lawyer, but I'd sure has he'll be calling one of I ran into an issue.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; March 9th, 2016 at 11:25 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    What hospital & is there anything in writing?? I would be intersted because it is a common problem that has not been widely addressed.
    Doylestown Health.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis42 View Post
    You will not be refused treatment. I have worked in healthcare for over 30 years and even if a hospital has a no weapons policy and you are brought in for treatment the hospital will secure it. Usually the Security Department will do this. But you will never be refused treatment. As for someone taking your weapon if you collapse on the street? I never really thought about that but I am sure that it can and does happen. You can't control people's actions and unfortunately there are people out there that will take advantage of people in a compromised physical state. Sad but True. Hope you are feeling better and stay in good health
    Thank you for your kind words.

(Warren County)

1) you need the gun for your walk
    2) if you collapse, and the gun disappears, then the first responders have some explaining to do
    3) they're gonna treat you regardless.

I only carry guns I can afford to lose.
    If I have to use the gun, it's gonna get confiscated, at least for a while.
    If Officer Friendly plays stupid gestapo games, I'm in danger of losing it, at least for a while.

So all my carry guns are replaceable.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast