Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Deer Lure Delayed opening ?

This is my third year hunting. I am OK as a technician with my crossbow, but don't know much about deer habits etc. I would appreciate your ideas.

Last year I had the opportunity to do a morning hunt with a friend who pulled out some deer lure for the second rut in January? Anyway, we both set up ground stands, then he told me he was going to open his "buck bomb". Within two minutes, two large bucks showed up. The problem was, it was still too dark to hunt for about the next 40 minutes. By the time the season opened, those bucks were long gone.

Please post some ideas on how to "activate" deer lure remotely as the season opens (light enough to shoot safely) while sitting in a stand. Also, how do I do the walk in with lure on my boots (to leave a trail toward the stand) while it is dark without having the deer show up until it's light?
    Thanks...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Deer Lure Delayed opening ?

There's a lot more to having a successful hunt and getting deer in front of you then deer lure. I personally never use any type of lure other than calls from time to time. Its all about time in the woods and patterning the movement, finding and sitting on food sources, recognizing bedding areas and positioning at pinch points or known high traffic areas. With all that said, probably the most important is to play the wind to your advantage and take every step possible to be sent free. Most people I know that trail lure as they go to the stand is dragging a rag on a rope behind you soaked in whatever you prefer (drag lines). There are specific products that you could acquire to do this or you could go the DIY method. See the link below.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/119...9cJBoC763w_wcB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtZfVeDEFI

(Bucks County)

Never put scent on your boots.

Use a piece of leather on a drag rope.

Then leave the drag or leather somewhere you want the lure away from your stand.

There are timed drop containers for scent.

You have to know the deer you are hunting

I have had friends go in athe first light because the deer are there in the dark but move out at first light. Then he used deer scent so on there way back they would catch it.

Then I have seen guys use timed scent dispensers.

I prefer no scent and use areas around me. I am learning about scrape refresh etc.

There are a couple guys who sell scent that offer advice.

Red neck pride calls and scents. The other use Google and look for local fresh deer scent .

There is really no point in going into a stand an hour before light unless you know the deer will be there at first light.Deer can see in the dark and we cannot.You will find that if you slip in when you can see just enough where you are walking it will also be easier to set your stand up without making noise.You can also see if you are bumping deer in your area.Not all deer will snort when they sense danger.Like human's deer don't see as well at dusk and dawn either While sitting in stand you will lose body heat.Why lose an hours worth of heat because you want to sit in the dark for a cold hour before the sun rises. Deer will mate anytime a doe is in estrous. I've killed big bucks chasing does in early Sept ( Maryland) and have killed big bucks chasing does in late Jan. This is how you get early and late born fawns. Does will be in estrous about every 30 days until bred by a buck. It is dangerous to put scent on your boots and leave a trail in the dark. It almost got me busted up when I was a young Bowhunter. Especially when playing with scents I would recommend only doing so if you can see a little bit. If you have to be in stand before light you can always throw scent bombs from your treestand. I like to use unscented tampons(plugs) for scent dispersal. Just hook the string over a low branch and add scent. If you don't have any low branches you can stick a practice arrow in the ground and hook a tampon to the nock. If your friends have shot any deer try to get the those stinky pads from the rear legs. You can cut them off and hang them in limbs. Mature deer like to investigate unknown scents of other deer in there area. It's a great way to kill the big boys. Put some doe in heat near the glands. Make sure the glands are used from a fresh kill. You can freeze them too to save them for another day. You can also drain the bladders from harvested deer and use as attractant and cover scent. Wear a camouflage that really breaks you up and doesn't blob you out and make you look like a big turd walking through the woods. I have always worn ASAT.Camoflauge and wind direction are everything when hunting .The more you hunt the more you learn from trial and error. Good luck and be careful. Safety comes first.
    Last edited by steelerballs; September 22nd, 2016 at 09:09 AM.