Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Handgun Hunting with 41 Mag

Been totally set for the PA bow season for over a month stands are up shooting lanes are cut and now I stay out of the woods to put as little pressure on the deer as possible before opening day. You know what that means??? Time to get ready for the gun season and practice practice practice.

So I have several handguns that I have considered for my handgun hunting season and I finally decided on using a 41 Mag out of my Dan Wesson 741 with 8″ barrel. I have a green fiber optic site front site and I am practicing with light loads of 215 grain LSWC over top pf 8 grains of Unique and hunting loads with 18.5 Grains of 2400 and a 210 grain Hornady XTP or Sierra JHP. When I finally feel good about the hunting loads I will load up with the 210 Grain Swift A-Frame bullets, but they are just too expensive to work up loads and practice much with. Right now I am practicing at both 25 and 50 yards with open sights from a variety of positions shooting single action. I am done shooting off a rest as I don’t think this rest shooting will help me much in a hunting situation. I will be hunting from tree stands and just like bow hunting the key is to stay within my effective range. I don’t think I will shoot beyond 50 yards with open sights.

Any hand gun hunters out there that want to give me some advice on anything related to handgun hunting for whitetail??

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Handgun Hunting with 41 Mag

First, good choice on the 41. Next is, you can practice with anything. When your ready to hunter with the swift cartridges, check your drop and I don't see much at 50 yards. Have a great season.

Hokkmike Guest

Yes, don't do something stupid like I did and (in a pinch) buy a different grain or brand ammo to hunt with than you actually practiced with.

Other than that, you seem to have it down solid.

Just a little more....my brother made it a double and has a .41 revolver AND a .41 lever action carbine. He can carry both JUST IN CASE that once in a lifetime buck is just out of handgun range.

Personally, I hunted with a 686 once. Would not do it again. Range was too limiting. But I can see the great sport in it and say "good for you". ENJOY!!!

(Clarion County)

Didn't mention on how you plan to carry it. I have a Redhawk that I carried in a shoulder holster but after I tried a chest rig I didn't look back.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Didn't mention on how you plan to carry it. I have a Redhawk that I carried in a shoulder holster but after I tried a chest rig I didn't look back.
    I have not given how I would carry much thought...glad you brought it up. I figured I would just put it in a holster and then in my back pack and then when I get up the tree and sitting in my tree stand I would keep it in a holster laying on my lap. Being that I am tree stand hunting as opposed to still hunting I think my method would work. I will check out a chest rig though. Can you think of a reason my holster on my lap in a tree stand is not a good idea or would cause me a problem? I guess there is a possibility of dropping the gun and that would totally suck. Any other thing I need to consider or haven't thought through enough??

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Yes, don't do something stupid like I did and (in a pinch) buy a different grain or brand ammo to hunt with than you actually practiced with.

Other than that, you seem to have it down solid.

Just a little more....my brother made it a double and has a .41 revolver AND a .41 lever action carbine. He can carry both JUST IN CASE that once in a lifetime buck is just out of handgun range.

Personally, I hunted with a 686 once. Would not do it again. Range was too limiting. But I can see the great sport in it and say "good for you". ENJOY!!!
    I am definitely after a certain buck this year and hope I can get a crack at him during the bow season. If I don't already have a buck down during the archery season. I also might take my .270 rifle for the situation you describe and my 41 mag if I get a 50 yard and in opportunity. I would eventually like a lever action in 44, 41 and 357 mags. I will add a lever gun to the collection some day.

(Fayette County)

I have shot 2 bucks with a 44 mag. One at 40/yds that I hit back a bit. He ran 40 yds downhill and went down. That was with a lead reload. I shot a nice 8 pt in the chest with a 240 xtp reload that ran about 100 yds. Shot was about 20 yds

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    When I finally feel good about the hunting loads I will load up with the 210 Grain Swift A-Frame bullets, but they are just too expensive to work up loads and practice much with. Right now I am practicing at both 25 and 50 yards with open sights from a variety of positions shooting single action. I am done shooting off a rest as I don’t think this rest shooting will help me much in a hunting situation. I will be hunting from tree stands and just like bow hunting the key is to stay within my effective range. I don’t think I will shoot beyond 50 yards with open sights.

Any hand gun hunters out there that want to give me some advice on anything related to handgun hunting for whitetail??
    Its good you are practicing with realistic positions. Shooting off of a bench is not real world. Find the distance you can hit a pie plate 9 out of 10 times at the range and that should be your max hunting distance in the field.

When you get comfortable with your revolver you might want to bump up the practice charge to closer to your hunting load. But don't overdo it, you don't want to get punchy.

And finally practice cocking the revolver QUIETLY.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    . Being that I am tree stand hunting as opposed to still hunting I think my method would work.
    Yeah, you'll be fine. I move a bit. Been awhile, but used a canoe for transportation so retention was a priority.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

I use a Passport bandoleer chest holster for my scoped 44 Super Blackhawk. Much more comfortable than a shoulder holster. I shoot what I will hunt with. I don't live far from my camp so I shoot it a few at a time once a week with what I hunt with.

Bandolere Holster Pic.jpg
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast