Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Testing the Mag Guts 7+1 replacement spring for the G43.

I have been looking into various options of increasing capacity in the G43 which has become my EDC 95% of the time. There are various mag extensions on the market most of which have decent reviews some better then others however with the addition of those +1 and +2 extensions comes added length and sometimes width within the grip making it that much more difficult to conceal carry in some situations especially if your like me and carry appendix style.

Enter the Z-Spring by Magguts which involves replacing the OEM spring and plastic follower for their leaf like spring and metal follower. Up until now with the exception of night sights I have always stayed away from anything other then OEM parts for my self defense and carry pistols but since Magguts is the only one making a +1 spring with no addition of a grip extension so I decided to Hey Ho and give it a go.

http://magguts.com/glock-43

Here's what you get for $22.95.

Installs in a few short minutes using the OEM base plates.

Minor differences in height and angles when compared to a all OEM magazine.

Today I was able to get a few minutes in the side yard range and put 57 rounds through just that one mag using the new Z-spring. 50 rounds of Federal Aluminum 115gr range ammunition and 7 rounds of my preferred carry load 124gr Federal HST. With the new internals installed loading is very easy the 7th round goes in without any added pressure so no sore thumbs or required break in. All rounds but 3 were fired with the mag fully loaded to 7 and 1 in the chamber which is the way I carry. All 57 rounds fed and fired smoothly no mis feeds, or hang up's and the slide locked opened on an empty chamber every time.

While I am happy with today's performance I am not completely sold yet on carrying with this magazine or investing in any more Z-springs just yet. Up next will be another 100 rounds of steel cased ammunition which is what I mostly practice with and at least 50 rounds of the HST that I will be carrying every day. If there are no issues after 200 rounds of various types of ammunition then I think I will be using the Z-springs from here out in my non extended magazines. Remember adding just one round increases your capacity by 16% which is significant especially in a real life SD situation.

Stay tuned for the follow up.
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 19th, 2016 at 10:26 PM.

Default Re: Testing the Mag Guts 7+1 replacement spring for the G43.

Please forgive my lateness with the updates on the Magguts Z-spring. The weather was unseasonably warm on Wednesday and I was feeling good enough to get outside and put my final 100 rounds through the G43 using the Magguts +1 spring.

Since I purchased this I have kept it loaded to its full 7 round capacity only unloading it when taking out my SD ammo and then loading it back up with range fodder. After 350 rounds, 200 of Perfecta 115gr, 100 rounds of Federal aluminum, and 50 rounds of Federal 124gr HST without a single issue I feel confident enough to say this product is good to go in the reliability department. I will definitely be investing in at least two more for my carry mags.

I did do a quick search on the various Glock forums and I didn't see any negatives other then it not working well with other +1 extensions like the Pierce. In the Magguts defense they state not to use it in combination with any other extension products.
    ReplyQuoteNotifyRemove