Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Taurus Tracker .17 HMR issues?

Hey Guys,

A couple of months ago I bought a "like new" Taurus Tracker .17 HMR for a plinker and maybe a little small game hunting..... The revolver has a 8" barrel and 2 power scope.... Great set up.... Or so I thought....

I took the gun to the range to check the scopes zero and get familure with it..... Nice gun, for twelve rounds..... Round 13.... Fired double action..... BANG! OUCH..... WTF!!! I got burns and some light shrapnel in my right hand just back of the index finger! I reiterate..... WTF! As best as I can see the gun fired out of battery..... The round impacted the forcing cone.... And the pressure blew out the back of the .17 HMR case head. My injuries were minor.... (This is why we wear safety glasses!) and my injuries were minor..... But it sure got my attention.

I checked the gun for obvious damage, and could find none, (I'm a Police armorer.... So mostly know what to look for!)
    The odd thing Is, I have been unable to duplicate the OOB condition..... I will be getting in touch with Taurus for a warranty repair.

I am just curious if anyone has had a similar issue? I did a internet search and did find a incident that was the same...

Thanks!
    F.

http://17hmr.net/index.php?topic=8060.0
    Last edited by 1096369fred; September 19th, 2016 at 09:28 AM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

Default Re: Taurus Tracker .17 HMR issues?

Hi 1096369fred!

I have two Taurus Trackers in 17HMR. About a month ago a friend was shooting one and suffered an injury from it. The case head blew out and the gas cut his thumb pretty bad. I sent the gun and ammo to the ammo maker and they said this was not the first 17HMR Tracker that had problems.

It seems the chambers are not to SAAMI specifications and allowed gas to escape between the chamber and case (escaping around the case head) lowering the pressure enough to lodge the bullet in the barrel. Then the next round of course lodged the bullet in the forcing cone and blew out the case head causing the injury. The ammo maker called Taurus and the chamber was reamed that way to eliminate the setback that occurs with a bottle necked cartridge in a revolver. (Remember the .22 Remington Jet back in the 60's?) Now I have two of these revolvers that I won't shoot and cannot/will not sell.

I just got the revolver back today. The engineer at the ammo maker said the revolver was not hurt (no bulged barrel). I am getting ready to send a letter and pictures of the injury to Taurus this week and see what they have to say about it.

Fred, The saga continues... Taurus had the revolver for 11 months and I finally sent another letter asking WTF? Anyway they sent a new revolver as a result. Now for the pain: Third shot (yes, 3rd shot) lodged a bullet in the barrel. Totally ticked off. Sent them a firmly worded letter that this is not acceptable! Told them to: 1) Send a Return Authorization form for the .17HMR. 2) Replace it with the same revolver but in .22 Mag. Haven’t heard from them yet. This is a very reasonable request but if I do not get satisfaction I will let the world know the whole sordid story. Paul

You guys weren't using this ammo, were you?

PRODUCT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE: WINCHESTER® Super-X 17 HMR 20 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Olin Winchester, LLC is recalling two (2) lots of 17 HMR 20 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Rimfire rifle ammunition.

Symbol: X17HMR1
    Lot Numbers (last four characters): NB51 and NB61

Winchester has determined the above lots of 17 HMR ammunition may contain no powder charges. Ammunition with no powder charges may result in a bullet remaining in the barrel (i.e., a bullet-in-bore obstruction). Firing a subsequent bullet into the bore obstruction could cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable and subjecting the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® 17 HMR 20 GRAIN JHP SYMBOL X17HMR1 THAT HAS A LOT NUMBER ENDING IN NB51 or NB61. The ammunition Lot Number is stamped on the top of the 1000-round case and the outside of the 50-round plastic box as indicated here.

To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol and Lot Number. If it is Symbol X17HMR1 and the last four characters of the Lot Number are NB51 or NB61, immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 844-653-8358 for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

This notice applies only to Symbol X17HMR1 with Lot Numbers ending in NB51 and NB61. Other Symbols or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.

If you have any questions concerning this 17 HMR rimfire rifle ammunition recall, please call toll-free 844-653-8358, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 | Attn: X17HMR1 Recall), or visit our website at www.winchester.com.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

WINCHESTER
    September 12, 2019
    NRA Benefactor Member

Thumbs down Re: Taurus Tracker .17 HMR issues?

Geez , I can't believe this! Taurus has such a stellar reputation for the highest quality firearms!

You wanted a cheap revolver , you got one!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lancaster County)

My Taurus .22 revolver went back to Taurus for timing / battery - it came back after 2 months - I've shot it a couple times, but now it keyholes the target. I wanted a reliable survival .22 and got a boat anchor - never again. As an aside, I traded for a used PT1911 a while back that was absolutely flawless while I had it ...
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Berks County)

There's a reason Massad Ayob recommends Hi-Point.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

The ammunition was not Winchester. When it lodged a bullet in the barrel the cylinder and forcing cone were packed with powder.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post

You wanted a cheap revolver , you got one!
    It's not like there are many options commonly available. It's either Taurus or a ruger single action unless you search alot or buy on gun broker.

Firm believer in, "Buy once, cry once". In hindsight wouldn't you have preferred to look a little harder and spend a little more, rather than go through this hassle?

I found this one in PA...

And the final cliche: Friends don't let friends buy Taurii."

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast