Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Single Six Issue?

Recently picked up a used Ruger Singe Six, New Model, around 2010 made. It shoots great and is in overall great shape, I've had no issues. The only thing I noticed was some significant leading between the barrel and the top of the receiver. Seemed natural to me since it is a rim fire. I cleaned it a bunch and picked off the lead. Noticed that there seems to be gouges or cuts in the top of the receiver? It is hard to explain but it almost looks someone gouged the receiver right above the forcing cone. Does anyone have a single six and can post pictures of that area to see if they match?

Default Re: Single Six Issue?

I don't have a single six, however it sounds like the timing may be slightly off. The lead sounds to me like it is being shaved off by the forcing cone. Normal powder and gas wear is common. lead the way you are describing is not. (at least what I am picturing in my mind) IMO get it looked at by a competent gunsmith. Someone else may be along shortly and have other ideas.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I don't have a single six, however it sounds like the timing may be slightly off. The lead sounds to me like it is being shaved off by the forcing cone. Normal powder and gas wear is common. lead the way you are describing is not. (at least what I am picturing in my mind) IMO get it looked at by a competent gunsmith. Someone else may be along shortly and have other ideas.
    If you determine this to be the case, definitely give Ruger a call. They will hook you up with free repair! You may just have to pay shipping but if you get lucky they will send a prepaid label for free.

(Dauphin County)

The lockup seems fine. I am thinking whoever owned it previously just never, ever cleaned that area. The "grooves" are apparently the threading for the barrel. I am going to clean it ALL out and try it with standard velocity and mini mags...we will see.