Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default an old favorite: big game side arm

so the most recent installment of the glock 20 thread ( http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=309651 ) got me thinking about a much beloved topic on gun boards: side arm when hunting out west. oh what a novel topic! no threads on that!

however, i have a specific question i have been debating in my head recently. i am planning an elk hunt in montana and own both a .454 alaskan and a glock 20sf. either would be carried in a cross chest rig and given that my other weapons would include a compound bow, knife, fists and feet, i feel the side arm is pretty important.

my original plan was to go with 6 rounds of 325 grain hardcast @1525ps (ME 1678) over 15+1 of 200 grain hardcast @1250fps (ME 694). however, considering some new offerings, including the new extreme penetrators (140 grain @1500FPS = ME 700) and its reviews/performance: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=WDvzul3rvTk ), i think i am leaning glock once again (capacity/ease or reload over power/simplicity).

what say you?

(disclaimer: i have not chronographed the .454 rounds out of the alaskan's short barrel and realize they are likely lower than the above)
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Bucks County)

Default Re: an old favorite: big game side arm

GJ,
    I carried the .44 mag (Super Redhawk) for 10 years and the .454 (Raging Bull) for about 5. i stopped shooting the taurus as i found that i could shoot a lot better with the 44 Mag. I do know this, either one will drop anything coming your way.

I will obviously have to work my way up to some of the hotter 10mm loads but from my recent research into the kinetic energy tables has led me to believe that it could perhaps be the best or rather "balanced" option holding a sweet spot between Mag Capacity and Energy Dump per round.

With elk hunts, i take it you will be hiking everywhere? I would like to think that every ounce you pack would matter. The Glock 20 is definitely the lighter option.

(Allegheny County)

I like the 15+1 option better personally however having never shot a bear with a handgun I'm not qualified to make a solid recommendation.

(Westmoreland County)

I'd go with the 10 mm if it was my choice not so much about the firepower but your 10 is gonna be a lot easier to get follow up shots and more than likely unless a CNS hit on your first shot fired you'll need those fast follow up shots and more the better never had to deal with an animal in that situation and hope not to !

Quote Originally Posted by TheTailhound View Post
    GJ,
    I carried the .44 mag (Super Redhawk) for 10 years and the .454 (Raging Bull) for about 5. i stopped shooting the taurus as i found that i could shoot a lot better with the 44 Mag. I do know this, either one will drop anything coming your way.

I will obviously have to work my way up to some of the hotter 10mm loads but from my recent research into the kinetic energy tables has led me to believe that it could perhaps be the best or rather "balanced" option holding a sweet spot between Mag Capacity and Energy Dump per round.

With elk hunts, i take it you will be hiking everywhere? I would like to think that every ounce you pack would matter. The Glock 20 is definitely the lighter option.
    the plan is hiking and horses

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    I'd go with the 10 mm if it was my choice not so much about the firepower but your 10 is gonna be a lot easier to get follow up shots and more than likely unless a CNS hit on your first shot fired you'll need those fast follow up shots and more the better never had to deal with an animal in that situation and hope not to !
    i do shoot mostly glocks nowadays so theres that
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    the plan is hiking and horses

i do shoot mostly glocks nowadays so theres that
    Leave the .454 take the G20 and the cannoli...

(Chester County)

I lived in Colorado for several years, so used to hike and camp in the mountains with my dog often. I would either carry my standard "city" gun a CZ-75 9MM, or a USFA SAA in .45 Colt. The only thing I was mildly concerned about was Mountain Lions (skiddish unless desperate), and Brown Bears which are more related to our Black Bears, so also shy, and not normally aggressive. I never had any issues. When hunting, the 9MM was all I brought as I had a rifle with me.

Griz country is a different story.

the biggest threat in colorado are probably the moose

although some locals disagree, i don't think there are any brown bears in colorado still

from what i have read, most of the lighter colored bears have proven to be blackies in the middle of a fur change
    Montani Semper Liberi