Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Colt Defender: help me choose

I'm a big 1911 fan. I'm also in the market for a small-ish .45 for concealed carry. For me, the pistol must have a metal frame. Just my preference.

I've been seriously considering the Colt Defender .45acp. I've had a Colt Commander, but it was still too big for those times when I want to have deep concealment.

I am very familiar with the potential dwell-time/slide velocity/spring problems with the 3 inch 1911. However, I've read some good things about the Colt Defender specifically.

For those who know: what are your experiences with this gun? I'm specifically curious about the aluminum frame durability, recoil spring maintenance schedule, and reliability. How many rounds can this gun expect to go?

Thanks in advance.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Colt Defender: help me choose

I traded into a well used defender a few years ago. When I received it there were other recoil spring assemblies included so I assume the previous owner had to replace it but I didn't ask how many rounds inbetween the change. The gun was perfectly reliable and easily concealed, the only reason I parted with it is because a gentleman offered me a python in a trade, needless to say I couldn't pass it up.

I recently saw one used for $599, I didn't take note of the caliber but it really got me thinking about my older defender.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Westmoreland County)

I've got a Kimber Ultra, 3" 1911. Works flawlessly, and darn accurate. I'd say go for it.

(Allegheny County)

go for it...also like the colt new agent, that quick sight...

thanks for the feedback. I decided to pull the trigger and buy a NIB Colt Defender.

Nice pistol. Light and compact for carry. The aluminum frame is THIN, especially at the dust cover. I suppose the design is proven to last, otherwise the Defender would not have been successful for 16 years now.