Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Guy here

(Lackawanna County)

Default New Guy here

Hi everyone, I'm Mike and I'm moving from the very liberal state of NY to the very lovely & conservative state of PA, Carbondale to be exact. I'm a auto mechanic by trade, a gun guy (obviously), an explorer, a metal detector and amateur nature photographer. I also fish, but waters here are too polluted to eat anything unless you go a few miles out

Once I switch my license over, I am getting my LTCF and my wife will probably get her's as well, she's not into hunting & killing Bambi but she's not above carrying a pistol, probably a .40 or 9mm to keep the recoil manageable where as I'll have a .45ACP (I've always loved that round and the 1911 platform).

As far as ranges go, I know there's one at Archbald and I believe there's one at SGL 307 also but I could be wrong seeing as how I don't live there yet (closing can't come soon enough). I plan on the .45 for carry, a .308 (probably a Rem 783, Patriot, a 700 or Axis) for hunting and a AR in .223 for fun, range & HD. I might also pick up a .22LR for little critters and for the wife to start out with

Now as far as hunting goes, I know there's whitetail all across the state, I almost ran a few over in Wilkes Barre but what else is prevalent in our neck of the woods? Are there a decent amount of bear and elk or should I just stick with deer? The availability of game & the types of game are what made me lean towards .308 since it can take deer (easily), elk & bear and the ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful, plus if need be, it can definitely take down an intruder

I saw elsewhere on here that the Lackawanna Sheriff issues LTCF in 20 minutes? Is that just how long their interview takes or do you walk out with your permit in 20 minutes? Also, where is this amazing sheriff? I visited the Sergeant in Carbondale, but I doubt it's the same place. I must say though that he was very friendly & extremely 2A friendly. I wanted to dispose of the old owner's shot shells and instead of any BS like I would get here in NY, he seemed confused as to why I didn't already have a shotgun and seemed to be encouraging me to get one. I might pick one up later on, but it's not a priority for me. My father had a side by side 12ga & a 20ga break action for years but they never appealed to me, I prefer accuracy over volume

If anyone has recommendations for ranges, shops, hunting grounds, etc I'm open to suggestions but I'm budget minded so take that into consideration. And if anyone knows of ruins in the area, I'd like to shoot them as well, just with my Nikon, not a rifle

Default Re: New Guy here

Deer, turkey, squirrel on the state game lands (until you maybe find some one who will let you access private property). Doe tags are gone for you this year though.

Lackawanna State Park gets stocked pheasants in the fall. The PGC website is pretty good for info.

The PGC has a hunter access program and I have had success using it. Be nice, & friendly and go far in advance of when you plan to hunt their property. Exact address are not given, but there is a map to clue you in.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Hunti...x#.VseG6PkrJhF

I like Gun Toters in Eynon... near Archibald.

SGL 300's public just got a full makeover and is a good place to shoot if you hit it at the right times.

Lackawanna County Sheriff's office in the the courthouse on the square in downtown Scranton. Bring $20 and two references that reside in the county and you'll have your LTCF in a short time depending on wait. Yes, I got mine in 20 minutes a number of years back.

(Wyoming County)

Welcome & glad to have you! Bear are around and you just need to get appropriate tag for them. Elk tags are done by lottery and they're range is, unless I'm mistaken, only in Elk Co.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Wayne County)

Only game I see missed is pheasant; we make the drive down to the Gap and do a few rounds each year, and a 20 ga. shotgun is an inexpensive addition.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Deer, turkey, squirrel on the state game lands (until you maybe find some one who will let you access private property). Doe tags are gone for you this year though.

Lackawanna State Park gets stocked pheasants in the fall. The PGC website is pretty good for info.

The PGC has a hunter access program and I have had success using it. Be nice, & friendly and go far in advance of when you plan to hunt their property. Exact address are not given, but there is a map to clue you in.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Hunti...x#.VseG6PkrJhF

I like Gun Toters in Eynon... near Archibald.

SGL 300's public just got a full makeover and is a good place to shoot if you hit it at the right times.

Lackawanna County Sheriff's office in the the courthouse on the square in downtown Scranton. Bring $20 and two references that reside in the county and you'll have your LTCF in a short time depending on wait. Yes, I got mine in 20 minutes a number of years back.
    Right now my only references would be my family & the shop im transferring to doesn't know me from a hole in the wall, my realtor & mortgage broker might do it but my broker is Bath and I don't know if it's in the same county? I know my family would do it & maybe my new manager might but I'm not sure if he lives in Lackawanna seeing as how the shop is in Wilkes-Barre but his family's farm is somewhere to the east

I might add a shotgun for fresh poultry but how does pheasant taste? Ive only ever shot one with a paintball gun & thats because i thought it was an "enemy" (the pheasant fully recovered from his injuries but he could not live down having worn a pink coat)
    Last edited by mikeybonez28; September 18th, 2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar

(Lackawanna County)

For anyone that might be watching, I talked to my real estate broker today & all the paperwork went to the underwriter & as long as it's all good to go, we might be looking at a Tuesday closing!! I was looking around the forum (I'm not a local so forgive me) and I couldn't find an equipment exchange or buy & sell. I was hoping someone might have a .308 they're willing to part with for cheap. I was going to get a 783, an axis or similarly priced rifle. I'm still trying to piece together an AR but that should be easier once I get out there. Buying anything right now is a pain unless I send it to a buddy of mine in Bethlehem and even then my card is NYC and I don't know who's watching or why.

Going back to my first post, do I have to have a PA license before I can apply for a LTCF or just proof of residency, like the deed? Also is it illegal or ill advised to bride the sheriff with a Box of Joe?