Hi everyone, I'm Mike and I'm moving from the very liberal state of NY to the very lovely & conservative state of PA, Carbondale to be exact. I'm a auto mechanic by trade, a gun guy (obviously), an explorer, a metal detector and amateur nature photographer. I also fish, but waters here are too polluted to eat anything unless you go a few miles out

Once I switch my license over, I am getting my LTCF and my wife will probably get her's as well, she's not into hunting & killing Bambi but she's not above carrying a pistol, probably a .40 or 9mm to keep the recoil manageable where as I'll have a .45ACP (I've always loved that round and the 1911 platform).

As far as ranges go, I know there's one at Archbald and I believe there's one at SGL 307 also but I could be wrong seeing as how I don't live there yet (closing can't come soon enough). I plan on the .45 for carry, a .308 (probably a Rem 783, Patriot, a 700 or Axis) for hunting and a AR in .223 for fun, range & HD. I might also pick up a .22LR for little critters and for the wife to start out with

Now as far as hunting goes, I know there's whitetail all across the state, I almost ran a few over in Wilkes Barre but what else is prevalent in our neck of the woods? Are there a decent amount of bear and elk or should I just stick with deer? The availability of game & the types of game are what made me lean towards .308 since it can take deer (easily), elk & bear and the ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful, plus if need be, it can definitely take down an intruder

I saw elsewhere on here that the Lackawanna Sheriff issues LTCF in 20 minutes? Is that just how long their interview takes or do you walk out with your permit in 20 minutes? Also, where is this amazing sheriff? I visited the Sergeant in Carbondale, but I doubt it's the same place. I must say though that he was very friendly & extremely 2A friendly. I wanted to dispose of the old owner's shot shells and instead of any BS like I would get here in NY, he seemed confused as to why I didn't already have a shotgun and seemed to be encouraging me to get one. I might pick one up later on, but it's not a priority for me. My father had a side by side 12ga & a 20ga break action for years but they never appealed to me, I prefer accuracy over volume

If anyone has recommendations for ranges, shops, hunting grounds, etc I'm open to suggestions but I'm budget minded so take that into consideration. And if anyone knows of ruins in the area, I'd like to shoot them as well, just with my Nikon, not a rifle