Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default After Market Pistol Sights ??

I am thinking about buying/installing a set of "after market" sights on my Ruger SR9. Old eyes are not picking up the factory installed white dots quickly.

Has anyone here installed after market sights on their pistol? By after market I am thinking True Glow or similar as sold by Midway USA.

Default Re: After Market Pistol Sights ??

I am a big believer on replacing almost every stock site that comes on a combat/duty/SD pistol my personal choice is the TruGlo TFX sights since they sport both tritium and fiber optics in both the front and rear. Once I went with these every other site system that I liked from XS Big Dot's, to Ameriglo Cap just feel sub standard and yes that is just my personal opinion. I put the TruGlo on my G17 to start with and now they are going on the G43 and G26 replacing the Cap sights and the XS Big DOTS.

If this Ruger pistol is not your HD or Carry pistol and you only want Hi-viz sights for the range then I cannot stress how excellent standard Fiber Optics are when you are outside since discovering them with the TFX I have changed most of my range pistols and revolvers over to some brand of a basic FO front sight and noticed a increase on my hits at further ranges especially with the GP100 revolver.

Hope some of this helps and good luck.

Here is an Amazon review I did on them and posted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truglo TFX , possibly the best pistol sights on today's market?
    By Hodgie on February 26, 2015

Verified Purchase

I decided to purchase the Truglo TFX sights for a Gen 4 G17 after reading up on all the pro's of the TFO's (1st generation) hundreds of positive reviews and only 1 common issue which was the front fiber optic post falling out due to recoil. The introduction of the TFX sight was solely to correct that from happening so the TFX gives you the same great day/night high viz capability with none of the con's.

They are very easy to install. The rear needed to be run up the side of a stone about 3-4 times on each side but they still went in snug. The FS fit very well there was almost no movement without being secured with the mount screw. I used a bit of non permanent thread lock on the bottom of the FS, on the screw in the slide, and on the rear slide set screw.

The fiber optics are ridiculous in these sights in just a small amount of indoor light or even standing by a window on a cloudy day they glow bright green. When you are outside in any type of light condition they are brighter then any tritium site on the market making them astonishingly easy to align and get right on target. The rear sight very low profile very smooth and defiantly anti snag if the user was looking to use them on a concealed carry pistol. They also appear to retain enough of a flat ledge on the front portion of the rear site for those who have to have the ability for one handed manipulation. Keep in mind it will do it but it may not be the best of that's most important too you.

The upgrades made to the FS as compared to the TFO's is definatly there. The fiber optics are fully seated and secured on all 4 sides of both the front and rear sites. The captive ring is fitted perfectly on the front and also includes a HI viz white ring around the fiber optic/tritium vile for fast pick up not that's its really required. Short of the sites completely breaking off due to the pistol being dragged or dropped directly on I do not see the posts or the tritium inserts coming loose or falling out.

The tritium is very good but if I had to give the sights a knock this is where it should be yhey are not as bright as some others. I compared them with a new set of XS 24/7 big dots I just received and installed on a G26 and they are slightly dimmer. It appears the reason for this is the fiber optic post. While looking at the FS in the dark from the top you will see that fiber optic is glowing in all exposed areas due to the light given off by the tritium escaping from the top of the open fiber optic posts which seems to really effect the FS more then the rear. This tells me the quality of the tritium is 100% it's just being used over a larger area then a normal set of night sights. This small con in the design in no way effects these sights from doing their job or detracts in their over all effectiveness in a low light or no light situation.

I would highly recommend these sights to anyone who was looking to replace a factory set up. Other then Bulls eye shooting which requires an adjustable rear site I cant think of a role that these sights cannot fit target, concealed carry, self defense, competition the TFX's will do it all and more. Hopefully they will be making them for more lines of pistols in the near future.
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 15th, 2016 at 11:15 PM.

I use primarily Ameriglo sights but I don't think they have any available for the SR series pistols currently. The Ameriglo sights use Trijicon lamps though and Trijicon does have some SR sights available. https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...dns.php?mid=14

(Lancaster County)

I run trijicon HD's on almost all of my glocks (link was posted in post above^). By far my favorite sights I've had. More expensive then most of the others out there but I think they are well worth it. I like the orange front sight, very bright and easy to pick up with the blacked out rear.

(Centre County)

There are scads of after market sights that you can get, just depends on what you want (fiber optic, tritium, white dot, orage ramp, black, etc.) and they can be found at Brownells, MidwayUSA, Amazon, eBay, local gun shops and of course the sight manufactures web sites (Tru-Glo, Ameriglo, Millett, Trijicon, XS, and more). For the Ruger you can also go to ShopRuger.com and find replacement sights for the SR series.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

how do they differ in longevity?
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Carbon County)

for failing eyes XS big dots are the way to go
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman24 View Post
    I run trijicon HD's on almost all of my glocks (link was posted in post above^). By far my favorite sights I've had. More expensive then most of the others out there but I think they are well worth it. I like the orange front sight, very bright and easy to pick up with the blacked out rear.
    I agree that these are fantastic sights. Easy to pick up in either daylight or low/no light.