Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Traffic Stop with Douglass Township PD

After not getting a traffic ticket for over 7 years, I was pulled over for speeding this past weekend. I was on my way to do the final inspection and close on my first home purchase, so I was excited/not paying attention to things like speed limits. He had me dead to rights, but I was hoping to get let off because of my pristine driving records. This was also my first time being pulled over while carrying.

Hands at 10 & 2 the whole time, I asked if it was ok to grab my license/documents. Informed him about how much was on my mind that morning etc. and he was professional the entire time while we chatted.

[snip] ... Comes back with traffic ticket, to my dismay. But he knocked the speed down to zero points at least.

Officer: Is there a firearm in the car?
    Me: Yes I'm legally carrying and I have my LTCF
    Officer: Ok no problem, but next time it's always a good idea to let the officer know. I have absolutely no problem with people carrying and I'm a huge 2A supporter myself.
    Me: That's really great to hear. As you know, state law doesn't require us to inform law enforcement about carrying a firearm upon contact.
    Officer: You're absolutely right, but it's just always a good idea. You always hear about things going on in the news, etc.
    Me: Agreed, that's why I kept my hands visible and let you know before I grabbed my documents. [I wasn't about to keep that argument going and start off about how informing a less 2A-friendly officer could go south quickly]

Me: Hey can I ask you something? Did dispatch let you know I have my LTCF or did you see it behind my driver's license when I pulled it out of my wallet?
    Officer: We are trained to be very observant for everything. [I wish I wouldn't have fed him a potential answer, not sure he was 100% straight with me.]
    Me: Well anyway, thanks for your 2A support. It's extremely important to have law enforcement on our side.
    Officer: I agree. I completely support citizens carrying. You never know, maybe one day you'll save my life if I'm in a tussle with someone or in trouble.

A neutral to positive encounter (would have been pushed to positive if I had gotten the warning... maybe if I informed I would have gotten off, who knows). I know this has been asked before, but under what circumstances can municipal cops or PSP access LTCF information connected to your auto tags or driver's license? Was he truthful in saying he just saw my LTCF?

But his 2A support comments did ease the sting of the ticket a bit. Overall a very professional encounter, so I can't be too sour.
    Last edited by jthrelf; February 6th, 2017 at 12:47 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Traffic Stop with Douglassville PD

Unless they have something new, your LTCF is not connected to your Driver's License or vehicle registration. It would have to be run separately, which he may have done.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Unless they have something new, your LTCF is not connected to your Driver's License or vehicle registration. It would have to be run separately, which he may have done.
    So the cop can use your name and address to check to see if you have a LTCF?

(Delaware County)

Just thought a better way to respond to this question, since it's an inquiry that plagues those of us who would rather not insert a weapon into this manner of situation:

Officer: "Is there a firearm in the car?"

Citizen: "I would prefer that you respect my privacy."

It's simple, honest, straight-forward, and a reasonable request which can be repeated if need be.
    Junior

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    So the cop can use your name and address to check to see if you have a LTCF?
    Name, DOB and possibly what county it was issued in.

(Montgomery County)

Montco has a dps radio channel called "data/lookups", and I have heard ltcf mentioned several times. However, I would say only a few stops out of every hundred get that request..... I have heard many times, however, that a person who was reported to 911 "has a valid firearm license" on the standard dispatch channels. Soon to lose all of this, btw, as Moncto dps is going full police encryption any day now......

OP I am confused. There is no Douglassville PD, was it Amity or Douglass Berks PD? Both cover addresses that would be in Douglasville.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Montco has a dps radio channel called "data/lookups", and I have heard ltcf mentioned several times. However, I would say only a few stops out of every hundred get that request..... I have heard many times, however, that a person who was reported to 911 "has a valid firearm license" on the standard dispatch channels. Soon to lose all of this, btw, as Moncto dps is going full police encryption any day now......
    That sucks. I have listened to Eastern Montco since they went trunked.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Officer: Is there a firearm in the car?
    ME: Will me answering any questions get that ticket ripped up? If not, then I choose not to answer.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    ME: Will me answering any questions get that ticket ripped up? If not, then I choose not to answer.
    Sometimes, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast