Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Looking for advice

Ok so I am a fairly new shooter and I am deciding on my first purchase, I want it as a carry gun but I also want it for home protection and I am not your typical girl. Meaning I carry in an alien gear inside the waist band holster and not in my purse so I dont want a sissy purse gun. I also dont want something that is going to hurt my wallet or my arm. So after all that so far I have it narrowed down to two choices: the Beretta 92FS or the Ruger LC9S. I am going to try them both out this weekend at a shop where i can rent both.
    Let me also say I dont plan on having a collection, I plan on this being my only purchase so I want it to suit all of my needs. They both feel good, the Ruger is much easier to conceal however the Beretta just feels so much better in my hands. I know it is a big gun to carry but that doesnt put me off at all.
    What do you think?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking for advice

I have a Beretta 92FS, and a 92FS Compact. Both are a bit big for carry, and they are just range guns at this point. They are excellent pistols. If you want ONE GUN to do it all, and be a bit easier to carry consider the lightweight, alloy framed, compact CZ-75D PCR. It does it all. CCW, Range and Home defense. It carries 15 rounds, is extremely reliable and very accurate.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-d-pc...mm-14-rd-mags/

Or if you must have a rail, the P-01.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9m...oy-14-rd-mags/

I have owned and carried the PCR for 16 years. It is also my nightstand gun, but is augmented with a full size CZ-75. They are superior to the Berettas due to their slimness IMHO, although you can't go wrong with the Berettas. If you really just want a 92FS, get the Compact. Both are superior to any Ruger.

(Allegheny County)

Can't go wrong with a Glock 19...

(Franklin County)

Thank you, I didn't see the compact model I will have to look into that one. I also have not handled the CZ so I will have to see if the place I an going has one of those to try also.
    Do you find that the compact versions have a lot more recoil than the full size versions or is there not a real noticeable difference? I have been shooting a Sig SP2340 and the recoil on it makes my arm tired very quickly so I am looking for something with less recoil.
    Last edited by alynch; September 13th, 2016 at 12:42 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by alynch View Post
    Thank you, I didn't see the compact model I will have to look into that one. I also have not handled the CZ so I will have to see if the place I an going has one of those to try also.
    Do you find that the compact versions have a lot more recoil than the full size versions or is there not a real noticeable difference? I have been shooting a Sig P2340 and the recoil on it makes my arm tired very quickly so I am looking for something with less recoil.
    My vote would be for sig since you already have familiarity but maybe a p229 or p226 in 9mm

Ok so I am a fairly new shooter and I am deciding on my first purchase, I want it as a carry gun but I also want it for home protection and I am not your typical girl. Meaning I carry in an alien gear inside the waist band holster and not in my purse so I dont want a sissy purse gun. I also dont want something that is going to hurt my wallet or my arm. So after all that so far I have it narrowed down to two choices: the Beretta 92FS or the Ruger LC9S. I am going to try them both out this weekend at a shop where i can rent both.
    Let me also say I dont plan on having a collection, I plan on this being my only purchase so I want it to suit all of my needs. They both feel good, the Ruger is much easier to conceal however the Beretta just feels so much better in my hands. I know it is a big gun to carry but that doesnt put me off at all.
    What do you think?
    You say you carry in an IWB holster, so what firearm do you carry now? The Beretta 92 and Ruger LC9S are on the extremes of the size scale, and the 92 would be a beast to haul around all day. The LC9S would be much more comfortable to carry, and 7 or 8 rounds of good defensive ammo will get the job done. While you're at the range, check out other model guns, the S&W Shield is a good CC pistol. Glock 43 is another good one. I would be more concerned about which gun you shoot the best with and feels the most comfortable doing so, not so much on capacity. I use a 1911 and Makarov that are both 8+1 capacity and I never feel undergunned. And remember that you can always carry a spare magazine with you. That would be preferable over carrying a big blocky higher capacity gun that you'll soon get tired of lugging around.

(Franklin County)

That was another option too but I thought if I switched to a heavier gun it would cut down on the recoil. I like the Sig except I can only fire around 40 rounds before my arms are fried.

(Franklin County)

I carry a Sig SP2340 right now and to carry it is comfortable but to shoot it the recoil tires me out. I can shoot my boyfriends 1911 and it feels like it barely has more recoil than the Sig. I love my Smith and Wesson 22 the grip and style but they don't make them like that in a 9mm or above they are all the M&P style and I don't care for them as much. The polymer frame is just not as comfortable to me. I like the metal frames the hard plastic just doesn't feel right.

(Chester County)

Do you find that the compact versions have a lot more recoil than the full size versions or is there not a real noticeable difference? I have been shooting a Sig SP2340 and the recoil on it makes my arm tired very quickly so I am looking for something with less recoil.
    Trop Gun Shop in E-town usually has CZ's. The compact (all metal, aluminum alloy) CZ's do not have much more recoil than there full size counterparts. Both the full size Beretta 92FS and 92FS Compact have aluminum alloy frames also.

(Franklin County)

That's where I was going to try the other two so that works. Do you have trouble finding accessories for them since they aren't made here?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast