Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New range with open membership near Pittsburgh.

Back story and reasoning skip to the bold for TL;DR

I have about reached the last straw with my sportsman's club. We have a family of members whom make it not enjoyable almost unbearable to go to the range on the weekend. New rules were created to prevent their unwanted activities and they ignore them. The club officers have been at a loss as to what to do because we can't seem to find a legal way per the bylaws to kick them out of the club.

Now one of them took to threatening me today because I reported him at the last club meeting for violating club rules. He wasn't dumb enough to threaten me physically but he is threatening to call my employer with some story about how I am unsafe with guns and should have a psych eval.

Needless to say unless they get the boot I am done I can't even sight in a rifle without this family giving me a hard time.

I have considered PMSC(77min) and BVRPC(63min) but the drive just really is hard for me to swallow. I have also heard horror stories about BVRPC just making up rules to monetarily benefit club leadership. (non jacketed pistol ammo only)

McDonald is full and looks like it will be for the rest of my lifetime.

I am honestly looking at Washington County Tactical Range which is only 37min away but I am not sold mainly since I haven't been out to see Tredd in over a year.

So here is what I am looking for:
    1) Can work from the holster and do rifle transitions
    2) Preferably a 400 yard + rifle range
    3)Can shoot AR500 steel targets
    4)No round or rate of fire limits

If anyone can suggest a range that fits the following I would greatly appreciate it!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New range with open membership near Pittsburgh.

From what I read, you and your club have ample reasons to boot...you all just need ample balls. Then with a little luck you can turn the tables with a defiant trespass charge when they try to ignore the boot.

It just drives me nuts with this family. They are so anticop antiestablishment it is scary.

We have lots of LE that are members and the son in the family said he would shoot anyone that tried to stop him from using the range. Unfortunately instead of pressing charges club officers turned their back.

(Allegheny County)

As far as I know PMSC isn't accepting new members at this time, unless something changed.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

From the PMSC web site:

Membership
    By KennyPowers on 04 Aug 2016

Membership will be back open in September and anyone who has already started the process will just need to bring payment in to complete paperwork and stand before membership at the September 7th general meeting (starting at 5:30).

(Washington County)

Iron City Armory has their outdoor range, but its future isn't certain.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    From the PMSC web site:
    Yes, PMSC officially re-opened membership. This was confirmed in the Sept. club meeting.

OP,
    How often do you shoot? If it's once a month or less then I would think a hour+ drive one way would be tolerable. If it's weekly, then not so much.

BTW, PMSC meets all of your shooting requirements except they only have a 300 yard rifle range. You can always use a mirror to double that distance.
    Last edited by Hawk; September 12th, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Yes, PMSC officially re-opened membership. This was confirmed in the Sept. club meeting.

OP,
    How often do you shoot? If it's once a month or less then I would think a hour+ drive one way would be tolerable. If it's weekly, then not so much.

BTW, PMSC meets all of your shooting requirements except they only have a 300 yard rifle range. You can always use a mirror to double that distance.
    I try to shoot weekly. That doesn't always happen and frankly because of the jokers at my club it has been about 2 months since I have gone.

If I find a place worth going to it will be a weekly excursion. If I am going to drive over an hour I will probably just coordinate my shooting with my co-worker and go to his farm where we can shoot to 700 yards and he has a training berm set up.