Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Motorcycle Cannonball Run in York

Anyone know or have a guess at their route?
    http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/theroute
    I just found out they will be leaving York Best Western between 0730 and 0830 tomorrow, traveling west to Cumberland MD. I would like to set up along the route and get some photos. They don't publish the route to keep spectator interference to a minimum. They generally take two lane scenic back roads and avoid highways and interstates. There are only a couple ways through Michaux state forest and across the mountains west of I-81. I don't think I'll get up early enough to make it to York before they leave but I can meet them along the route if I can figure out which way they are going. Any guesses?
    The Hostler

(Lehigh County)

Cool Re: Motorcycle Cannonball Run in York

Just from what I know of roads in that area, I would suggest PA 234 West out of York and over to I 81. But they could go South after Arendtsville to Cashtown and right to you if they swing West on PA 16
    Last edited by gghbi; September 10th, 2016 at 11:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Motorcycle Cannonball Run in York

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Just from what I know, I would suggest PA 234 West out of York and over to I 81
    234 to 30 was my guess as well. I figured either 234 or 30 coming out of York.
    I may head toward McConnellsburg and wait on 30 for them. They either have to take 30 or 16 over the mountain. Although I would prefer to be closer to York so they aren't as spread out.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks for pitching in.
    The Hostler

(Lehigh County)

Just from what I know of roads in that area, I would suggest PA 234 West out of York and over to I 81. But they could go South after Arendtsville to Cashtown and right to you if they swing West on PA 16

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    234 to 30 was my guess as well. I figured either 234 or 30 coming out of York.
    I may head toward McConnellsburg and wait on 30 for them. They either have to take 30 or 16 over the mountain. Although I would prefer to be closer to York so they aren't as spread out.
    See my edit. Good luck, should be interesting to see. I would think Rt 30 is too busy, but I could be wrong.

(Franklin County)

[/B]

See my edit. Good luck, should be interesting to see. I would think Rt 30 is too busy, but I could be wrong.
    Says their stage from York to Morgantown (via Cumberland airport) is 228 miles. If they drop down to 16 the mileage would be 234 miles. If I map 234 to 30 to 144 I get 227 miles. I don't think they can drop down to 16 and still make it in 228 miles.
    Last edited by ray h; September 11th, 2016 at 12:14 AM.
    The Hostler

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Says their stage from York to Morgantown (via Cumberland airport) is 228 miles. If they drop down to 16 the mileage would be 234 miles. If I map 234 to 30 to 144 I get 227 miles. I don't think they can drop down to 16 and still make it in 228 miles.
    Sounds like solid reasoning. I did not get into that level of detail, just based on my history back when I did volunteer work at GS camps in the area. Take those pictures and post a couple.

(Franklin County)

Well I found them but didn't get a chance to take pictures. They were pretty spread out. I actually got to talk to one of the racers when he stopped for gas at the Rutters at 30 and 997. They aren't given maps, just a scroll of paper with directions. I left Rutters to see where the main group was so I rode west on 30 and waited along 30 between Chambersburg and Mcconnellsburg. I waited to about 930 and didn't see any so I packed it up and rode back east on 30 where I met the group coming toward me. I was going to turn around and try to get back in front of them but I had to get back home before my wife left for church, and I wasn't sure how I was going to get back to them, they had traffic backed up behind them for some ways.
    The Hostler