Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non Resident Permit, Question on CSDDCA

Hey everyone,

I live in NY, and have a unrestricted license to carry here. I have a prior possession of marijuana ticket in Vermont. It's decriminalized in Vermont, so its considered a 'civil violation'. Didn't even have to go to court. Paid it and it went away, like a parking ticket. Not really sure if it even shows up on my record.

I travel to, and through PA on my Harley, and often to head south to visit family. And only being an hour from the state line I find myself crossing the border more often so it makes sense to go for a Non Resident Permit.

Will my ticket in VT go against me in the Controlled Substances, Drug, Device, and Cosmetic Act? I am not a user, and was caught in a bad spot of needing a vehicle to get to the hospital after a ski accident while at Killington.

NY gave me a chance to explain the situation, and let me have my permit. How do things go in PA?

Default Re: Non Resident Permit, Question on CSDDCA

Quote Originally Posted by ehen45 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I live in NY, and have a unrestricted license to carry here. I have a prior possession of marijuana ticket in Vermont. It's decriminalized in Vermont, so its considered a 'civil violation'. Didn't even have to go to court. Paid it and it went away, like a parking ticket. Not really sure if it even shows up on my record.

I travel to, and through PA on my Harley, and often to head south to visit family. And only being an hour from the state line I find myself crossing the border more often so it makes sense to go for a Non Resident Permit.

Will my ticket in VT go against me in the Controlled Substances, Drug, Device, and Cosmetic Act? I am not a user, and was caught in a bad spot of needing a vehicle to get to the hospital after a ski accident while at Killington.

NY gave me a chance to explain the situation, and let me have my permit. How do things go in PA?
    I am not acting as a lawyer and will not give you legal advice. I would think you will have problems if your non traffic citation for a marijuana offense shows up on your background exam. Marijuana possession is still a federal offense. You had possession and found guilty I assume so they will probably consider you a user or seller of an illegal substance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Non Resident Permit, Question on CSDDCA

Under 6105 - PA's prohibitor for mere possession for similar drug laws in other states requires a max possible sentence that exceeds 2 years.

Under 6109 - PA's prohibitor for eligibility, their isn't a "similar" clause for drug convictions in other states. It specifically lists PA's Controlled Substances, Drug, Device, and Cosmetic Act.

Now, if that violation was from recent times, like say, within a year or two, you could still be considered an unlawful user - thus prohibited.

You should be good to go, but that doesn't mean you wont get denied. ...which means you'd have to explain things in a challenge.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!