Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,432
    Rep Power
    17450684

    Default encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    At the local grocery store that I frequent, OCing a GP100 in a leather thumb break. Man comes up to me:

    Man: Why is your gun out like that.

    Me: I like to carry like this.

    Man: That's illegal. You have a CONCEALED PERMIT FOR DEADLY WEAPONS.

    Me: My license doesn't say concealed on it.

    Man: yes it does. You're going to get arrested.

    Me: Alright.

    Man: I'm helping you out buddy.

    Me: Alright.

    A few minutes later I see him rifling through his wallet, looking at his own LTCF.

    I'm not going to argue with someone who 'knows' everything.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,505
    Rep Power
    21474844

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    At the local grocery store that I frequent, OCing a GP100 in a leather thumb break. Man comes up to me:

    Man: Why is your gun out like that.

    Me: I like to carry like this.

    Man: That's illegal. You have a CONCEALED PERMIT FOR DEADLY WEAPONS.

    Me: My license doesn't say concealed on it.

    Man: yes it does. You're going to get arrested.

    Me: Alright.

    Man: I'm helping you out buddy.

    Me: Alright.

    A few minutes later I see him rifling through his wallet, looking at his own LTCF.

    I'm not going to argue with someone who 'knows' everything.
    If that's a direct quote, I don't think he's ever even looked at one. None of those words are on there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,432
    Rep Power
    17450684

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    If that's a direct quote, I don't think he's ever even looked at one. None of those words are on there.
    That's exactly what he said.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    269505

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    The 2nd Amendment doesn't guarantee our right to be smart. Can't fix stupid.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    amishland, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Posts
    1,839
    Rep Power
    21474842

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    People need to stop engaging these assholes. Your response should be "I don't owe you an explanation for my behavior, leave me alone or I will call the cops.". Going on the defensive just encourages them.
    AMERICA'S PUSSY = GRABBED

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,505
    Rep Power
    21474844

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    It really doesn't surprise me. That's probably the most common myth, lie, misconception I've heard about open carrying. A lot of times it's from someone who has a LTCF also. The amount of gun owners who don't even have a basic understanding of PA's gun laws is shockingly high in my experience.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,505
    Rep Power
    21474844

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    People need to stop engaging these assholes. Your response should be "I don't owe you an explanation for my behavior, leave me alone or I will call the cops.". Going on the defensive just encourages them.
    Educating people on the laws is generally not a bad thing, if you actually know what you're talking about. I know a few people who genuinely appreciated me explaining things to them. I can usually tell within a few seconds how it's going to go. If they really are just ignorant and open to listening I'm fine with explaining things. People who just won't hear what you're saying or are argumentative even when they are proven wrong can usually be weeded out quickly and then given the obligatory "Constitution Motherfucker" response.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,432
    Rep Power
    17450684

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    I could tell in 5 seconds that this guy wasn't going to listen to anything I said, because he 'knew' that concealment was required. I can bet 5 cents that as soon as he got home, he went on the internet to 'prove' he was right, only to discover that OC is legal in PA. He may have even come to this website, and perhaps he's even reading this thread.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,842
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    I had a guy that works at the local gun shop tell me the same. He got his info from a class with the county sheriff deputies and would not believe me. It seemed that way anyway

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    20,872
    Rep Power
    21474867

    Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I had a guy that works at the local gun shop tell me the same. He got his info from a class with the county sheriff deputies and would not believe me. It seemed that way anyway

    I went to a "gun safety" seminar a few years ago just to hear what they would be telling people. It was conducted via the county sheriff's office.

    All info seemed solid and open carry was asked about and answered factually and without any slant against it.

    You never know what info people will dispense though.



    I once had a lifelong gun owner tell me of his rifle collection - hunting rifles mainly. He had gotten some from family and in a hushed tone informed me that most weren't even registered.

    Shhhh! LOL
    See you at the NEXT PAFOA GROUP SHOOT Saturday August 19(link)
    GUNS & BACON & GUNS & BACON & BACON & BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. another OCer
    By cardonasharp in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 6th, 2015, 12:32 PM
  2. saw my first ocer...
    By Jokester in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM
  3. just saw an OCer in PHILLY!
    By photoshooter in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
  4. Saw My First OCer Yesterday
    By DaveyC in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
  5. Saw my first OCer!!
    By US Militiaman in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops