Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: encounter with someone who 'knows' more than an OCer

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's surprising how effective a rebuttal in this area can be, when you begin with "I'm a licensed attorney who practices extensively in this area, and..."

Doesn't stop everyone, though. I have to wonder if the same folks would debate minimum wire gauge for a hot tub with a Master Electrician.
    Yes, they would. Ran into it last night. "We F***ed up & didn't know what we were during" 4 EMTs & a Paramedic, with a combined experience of 70 years (and continuing education requirements more stringent than doctor's of nurses), didn't know how to access a patient in a set of bleachers in a crowd & move them to the ambulance.

Morons are morons & always know how to do your job better then you.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Yes, they would. Ran into it last night. "We F***ed up & didn't know what we were during" 4 EMTs & a Paramedic, with a combined experience of 70 years (and continuing education requirements more stringent than doctor's of nurses), didn't know how to access a patient in a set of bleachers in a crowd & move them to the ambulance.

Morons are morons & always know how to do your job better then you.
    Agreed. One can rebut with anything under the sun. 'I'm a licensed attorney, I'm a professor of this topic, I've published in peer reviewed journals in this area, I wrote the book on this, I've testified in front of congress on this''...it doesn't seem to matter to a certain subset of the population. Some people are IMMUNE to type of reason.

I've come to realize that there are some folks whose careers, and lives, are such that they can get away with being wrong. Not a lot hinges on them being 100 percent certain on something. It is among these populations where you find folks who act like the man who I posted about---so SURE that they are correct, when in fact they are wrong. They are so sure in their ignorance that they will confront a total stranger and insist that the stranger change his life in accordance with their ignorance.

Then, There are some professions where being wrong is intolerable. A surgeon, a professor publishing in their field among their peers who study every word they say, an airline pilot, scientist, an engineer, etc. These types of folks are VERY careful in everything they say, and when they do talk, they are always qualifying their statements with 'I'm not an expert in this area, but'. or, 'It might the be case that'....

These situations tend to shed light on a person's 'background'.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Wasn't the original quote "ever hear of the motherfucking Constitution?"
    I don't like to refer to the Constitution as "motherfucking", I DO like referring to idiots as "Motherfuckers". Especially liberal snowflake Hillary supporters, I.E "you got to be a motherfucking IDIOT to support this lying hagwagon Hilary". So yeah you are probably right about the original quote, I twisted it a lil' bit to show the bestow the disrespect where it belongs, on the nitwits not the guiding document of the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    This is referred to as the Dunning-Kruger effect - when a person of low ability or lacking in experience suffers from illusory superiority.

In other words, sometimes ignorant people don't realize they're ignorant. Imagine that!
    Would it be a stretch to call it the Causality of the Peter Principle?
    Last edited by bigandy1966; September 12th, 2016 at 07:35 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's surprising how effective a rebuttal in this area can be, when you begin with "I'm a licensed attorney who practices extensively in this area, and..."

Doesn't stop everyone, though. I have to wonder if the same folks would debate minimum wire gauge for a hot tub with a Master Electrician.

But I watched every episode of Law & Order at least a half-dozen times!!!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I think that some people honestly get some kind of a boost of testosterone or anxiety when they see any gun in public
    because of the media and that rush inside of them somehow makes them say and/or do things that they normally would not do if our media was not designed to be anti gun.

I once had a cashier at a take out restaurant (obviously into drugs by his appearance and obviously not exactly up on our laws)
    tell me that oc was not legal, I simply ask where he got that information and he had no response.
    The encounter was bizarre for both of us because I think he genuinely knew that he had no idea what the hell he was talking about but just said that for something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
    I think that some people honestly get some kind of a boost of testosterone or anxiety when they see any gun in public
    because of the media and that rush inside of them somehow makes them say and/or do things that they normally would not do if our media was not designed to be anti gun.
    it is sad how effective a weapon fear can be to further a propaganda.
    if every firearm owner or supporter stood up at the same time, the anti's would probably shit a brick.
    i don't think many people realize how many actually own firearms or carry them on a daily basis.
    people are not used to seeing them and the stigma has been built up by the media among others.
    we need to work ourselves back to a day where seeing a weapon was commonplace and not some sign of evil.
    people should fear a gun in hand, not holster. we don't fear cars unless they're heading towards us. we don't fear knives unless they're towards us.

i'm done stating the obvious.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Agreed. One can rebut with anything under the sun. 'I'm a licensed attorney, I'm a professor of this topic, I've published in peer reviewed journals in this area, I wrote the book on this, I've testified in front of congress on this''...it doesn't seem to matter to a certain subset of the population. Some people are IMMUNE to type of reason.
    I think the people that fall into this category aren't actually listening to you beyond confirming that you don't agree with them. Once they hear a "Well, the truth is..." or "But..." the rest they hear is just white noise as they wait for you to pause so they can state their case again, if only in a slightly different manner. And sometimes you don't even get that. You just get the same crap regurgitated until you end the conversation.

Thankfully, I've only dealt with that on a few occasions, but it's never enjoyable when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Is that untrue?
    they were instructors so they definitely know it all

one of the guys had a buddy who was a cop too
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    one of the guys had a buddy who was a cop too
    Well, you can't argue with that.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I don't like to refer to the Constitution as "motherfucking", I DO like referring to idiots as "Motherfuckers". Especially liberal snowflake Hillary supporters, I.E "you got to be a motherfucking IDIOT to support this lying hagwagon Hilary". So yeah you are probably right about the original quote, I twisted it a lil' bit to show the bestow the disrespect where it belongs, on the nitwits not the guiding document of the Republic.
    Not sure we are talking about the same thing. That quote was mentioned in a thread here a while ago when somebody met an OCer.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast