Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alloy frame of the SIG P238

I recently got a NIB SIG P238 Extreme (G10 grips). It's the smallest and lightest pistol I've ever owned. While I'm used to toting everyday a Government model 1911 or a 4.2 inch Ruger GP100, this little pistol is really a dream to carry. It's literally shorter in length than my smart phone, and about it's so light I forget it's in my pocket.

Now, to the one worry I keep in the back of my mind: this gun has an aluminum frame, which seems to be thin in some areas (I'm thinking about the hole for the slide stop, the rails, the dust cover). I keep the rails well greased, but I still worry about the integrity of the aluminum. Can anybody offer their own experience with shooting a lot of rounds through their allow framed P238? I'm thinking about getting an all stainless P238 (HD model), but this one is reliable at the range so far and I don't want to give it up for one that might not work as well.

Should I get the HD or just keep this little light weight alloy model? It is a nice little pistol.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Alloy frame of the SIG P238

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I recently got a NIB SIG P238 Extreme (G10 grips). It's the smallest and lightest pistol I've ever owned. While I'm used to toting everyday a Government model 1911 or a 4.2 inch Ruger GP100, this little pistol is really a dream to carry. It's literally shorter in length than my smart phone, and about it's so light I forget it's in my pocket.

Now, to the one worry I keep in the back of my mind: this gun has an aluminum frame, which seems to be thin in some areas (I'm thinking about the hole for the slide stop, the rails, the dust cover). I keep the rails well greased, but I still worry about the integrity of the aluminum. Can anybody offer their own experience with shooting a lot of rounds through their allow framed P238? I'm thinking about getting an all stainless P238 (HD model), but this one is reliable at the range so far and I don't want to give it up for one that might not work as well.

Should I get the HD or just keep this little light weight alloy model? It is a nice little pistol.

Worry not. The P238 is designed to be shot and practiced with. Like any sub-compact, it's not for all day range use. It's a carry piece. Practice with it; shoot a few magazines a couple of times a month, clean it and carry it. With judicious use, and not a lot of hot loads, this thing will last and serve you well for years. I've sold dozens of them and their bigger brother the P938 and haven't had any real negative feedback. Mostly being it was a bit too small for some guys with huge gorilla hands. As for function and reliability, nothing but positive comments.

(Bucks County)

I have the P938 and I also keep the rails well greased (not oiled). I have not had it that long but after about 300 rounds I don't see any wear at all on the frame.

The only thing bad I heard about the aluminum frame is the threads where the grips attach. Its supposed to be thin and the fine threads can strip. Do not torque the screws too much, use locktite if you have a problem with them backing out.

(Beaver County)

I have one of the original P238 SAS models. I don't know or ever cared if it had an alloy frame or not. It's a great gun. Well over 2k rounds out of mine. Never a hiccup yet and accuracy is great for such a short barreled pistol. Just keep it luber and keep shooting.

My high round count is from using it in IDPA Bug category.

Just checked Sig's website. My SAS has an alloy frame. So you should be GTG.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; September 7th, 2016 at 06:29 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like a sound design for the alloy frame.

The frame should not be a problem; just remember not to pull the trigger while the gun is disassembled, as you can damage it that way. That is the only worry I have with my P238, but that being said, mine does not see as much use after the G43 came into the rotation.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    The frame should not be a problem; just remember not to pull the trigger while the gun is disassembled, as you can damage it that way. That is the only worry I have with my P238, but that being said, mine does not see as much use after the G43 came into the rotation.
    Thanks for the feedback. the manual also mentions to keep the safety in the fire position, and not to ever change its position, with the slide off the frame. I'm starting to gain confidence in the long term durability of the frame.

(Chester County)

I've had a p238 and now a p938. 1-2k rounds through the 238 including +p defensive ammo and never an issue. Liked and trusted it enough to move up to the 938 and so far it's been every bit as good.

Sig is just one of those products where I trust the engineers even if aluminum seems soft or thin. I don't know the exact variation they used, but I can tell you with certainty that 7075 is nothing like the 6061 aluminum we are used to. In comparison, 7075 is closer to steel in toughness and rigidity. If anyone knows which alloy is used, I'd love to know.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Also, be careful how much you push the extractor under the slide when reassembling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Also, be careful how much you push the extractor under the slide when reassembling.
    Do you mean the ejector?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast