Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OC still a hassle in Philly?

I don't intend to, but I'm curious if OCing has gotten any better in Philly. Are the cops still "Viper" aggressive, or have they learned more about the law and calmed down. For instance, if I jumped on the trolley and got off at 15th St., how far would I make it up Market St. before the SWAT team would encircle me....lol. In fact, I wonder what would be said riding SEPTA while OCing! Probably tell me it's illegal and throw me off.
    Just curious. Thanks for any input.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: OC still a hassle in Philly?

There is a recent thread about a jogger who was stopped and questioned by Philly cops.The situation got a little testy and if I recall the jogger wound up having his handgun confiscated and getting arrested but it was mostly brought on by himself with his unwillingness to cooperate with the officers. I think if you are seen by an officer you will be stopped,questioned and asked to show proof of being able to open carry.

There are over 6000 police in Philadelphia. Hard to predict how they will all react. Overall not many stories over the past few years.

(Chester County)

I only OC in Philly if I'm going to my shooting range. The rest of the time I "casual carry". I'll throw a t shirt or hoodie over my gun, but I don't care if I print.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Chester County)

In Philly they are legally allowed to ask for your required PA LTCF and drivers license. If you show them, they will go away.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    In Philly they are legally allowed to ask for your required PA LTCF and drivers license. If you show them, they will go away.
    I am perfectly willing to show my LTCF upon request in Philly. That particular fight is not worth a street confrontation.

If I'm not driving they can ask for my DL 'til they're blue in the face - they'll get exactly squat. I might deign to grace them with a "No."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    I don't intend to, but I'm curious if OCing has gotten any better in Philly. Are the cops still "Viper" aggressive, or have they learned more about the law and calmed down. For instance, if I jumped on the trolley and got off at 15th St., how far would I make it up Market St. before the SWAT team would encircle me....lol. In fact, I wonder what would be said riding SEPTA while OCing! Probably tell me it's illegal and throw me off.
    If you have *ANY* issues with SEPTA PD for OC, please let me know. I've always wanted to own a Transportation Authority.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=216917

(Northampton County)

I was talking to a young kid Philly cop and he said they have to check everyone they see carrying a gun because of all the trouble and problems they have in the city. I was oc as usual around here and he said it's different up here. That's what he is expected to do when he is working according to him.

(Tioga County)

I OC'd in Philly for nearly 5 years. They got better. I have carried all over town and on SEPTA. Don't be a dick and any encounter will be quick and painless. In my district, I think they got wise to me and no longer gave a shit.
    MikeP

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Apparently you have your mind made up already.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast