Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Another Gun in a Box - AR15 Pistol Build

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    No I have not but I cant imagine that huge a difference.

With that being said......I agree with the choice of a muzzle device designed for close quarter combat, because this is where the AR pistol shines, same as a SBR.
    I want as short and compact a package as possible clearing room to room. I wouldn't want to be swinging around an 11 in barrel (12-13 inches with muzzle device) around corners to enter a room.
    Yeah, I know I mentioned it in the other thread, but MY intended purpose for this isn't just "range toy" - I wanted something that is compact for home defense as well.
    I don't get to involved in the subtle differences in barrel lengths vs velocity, range, and accuracy. It's unlikely I'll ever need to shoot ANY gun past a few yards - 100 tops.
    A longer barrel/more velocity is something I am not so concerned with in terms of hitting targets that are so close - the trade off is worth the more compact package - for me.

11" barrel? What's the point? That's a mere 5" shorter than my carbine. Not worth $200 tax stamp or doing it up as a pistol - not for what I want anyway.

And as mentioned, I wouldn't have spent that much on a muzzle device for a range toy - a $30 flash can would have been just fine. I figured that it may be beneficial to invest in a decent comp that is designed specifically for close quarter shooting.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    No I have not but I cant imagine that huge a difference.

With that being said......I agree with the choice of a muzzle device designed for close quarter combat, because this is where the AR pistol shines, same as a SBR.
    I want as short and compact a package as possible clearing room to room. I wouldn't want to be swinging around an 11 in barrel (12-13 inches with muzzle device) around corners to enter a room.
    My understanding is that less than 10 puts more wear on the BCG and a greater fireball. Im really interested in Empty getting some range time in with that muzzle device.

C'Mon Emptymag, get on with it already!

Emptymag:

That lil doo-dad is the way to go! Just saw a video of the PWS CQB 556 in action, cant believe I never heard of it before.
    Guess what Im ordering?
    Last edited by spacemanvic; September 9th, 2016 at 03:45 PM.
    Hold the Line...

(Allegheny County)

I'm sitting in my truck waiting for the rain to stop so I can finish my work day. If I were home I could have put the lower together! LOL

If not for the fact that it's useless for directing blast forward and has no flash hiding capacity, I would have been tempted to get the PWS Cookie Cutter comp.
    It looks funky and seems to nearly eliminate muzzle climb.

I assume you saw the YouTube vid of the SBR being fired in the dark with the CQB comp.

I was "this close" to buying a Levang linear comp until I saw a photo of someone's fireball on arfcom and that was the comp he was using.
    Crossing my fingers on the CQB comp!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    My understanding is that less than 10 puts more wear on the BCG and a greater fireball. Im really interested in Empty getting some range time in with that muzzle device.

C'Mon Emptymag, get on with it already!

Emptymag:

That lil doo-dad is the way to go! Just saw a video of the PWS CQB 556 in action, cant believe I never heard of it before.
    Guess what Im ordering?
    If you haven't already done so, I looked through my bookmarked sites and found it for $104.27 + $8.99 flat rate shipping.

They sell for $145 most everywhere else.
    I got mine from Tombstone Tactical for $108, but that sale price is no longer in effect.
    Last edited by Emptymag; September 9th, 2016 at 07:12 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, I know I mentioned it in the other thread, but MY intended purpose for this isn't just "range toy" - I wanted something that is compact for home defense as well.
    I don't get to involved in the subtle differences in barrel lengths vs velocity, range, and accuracy. It's unlikely I'll ever need to shoot ANY gun past a few yards - 100 tops.
    A longer barrel/more velocity is something I am not so concerned with in terms of hitting targets that are so close - the trade off is worth the more compact package - for me.

11" barrel? What's the point? That's a mere 5" shorter than my carbine. Not worth $200 tax stamp or doing it up as a pistol - not for what I want anyway.

And as mentioned, I wouldn't have spent that much on a muzzle device for a range toy - a $30 flash can would have been just fine. I figured that it may be beneficial to invest in a decent comp that is designed specifically for close quarter shooting.
    I've done a lot of research as well as talk with a few guys that know a thing or two about short barreled AR's before doing my SBR's. They all suggested the shortest to go was 10.3" with 11.5" being the best option.

The two main reasons are reliability and ballistics, from everything I've read and talked to these reasons and specifically reliability was the main reason.

It's also very hard on parts the shorter you go.

The issue that seems to be the most consistent is reliability because of the pistol length gas system.

Hopefully yours runs good, if you have any issues you may have to go with an adjustable gas block, different buffer/spring combo.

I run H2's in my 10.5" and 11.5" SBR's, both run perfect so far. I'm anxious to see how your build runs.

(Allegheny County)

I wounder if the CQB comp is going to make it feel Top heavy or barrel heavy.. ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I wounder if the CQB comp is going to make it feel Top heavy or barrel heavy.. ?
    The barrel itself is heavy profile so I'd assume it will be a little on the heavy side for what it is, that may be a good thing though as it may help reduce the felt recoil.

(Allegheny County)

true

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I've done a lot of research as well as talk with a few guys that know a thing or two about short barreled AR's before doing my SBR's. They all suggested the shortest to go was 10.3" with 11.5" being the best option.

The two main reasons are reliability and ballistics, from everything I've read and talked to these reasons and specifically reliability was the main reason.

It's also very hard on parts the shorter you go.

The issue that seems to be the most consistent is reliability because of the pistol length gas system.

Hopefully yours runs good, if you have any issues you may have to go with an adjustable gas block, different buffer/spring combo.

I run H2's in my 10.5" and 11.5" SBR's, both run perfect so far. I'm anxious to see how your build runs.

I can never remember what the various buffer weights are called without googling them and looking for a description.

When I ordered the KAK/Shockwave Blade I bought the entire kit with KAK dimpled tube, spring, castle nut, end plate, and buffer.
    I hadn't seen any other vendor offer this, but they let you choose the buffer weight. I can't recall what I selected, but it's heavier than a standard buffer.
    I have an extra carbine buffer laying around here, so I figured I may as well get a heavier one and have two options available.

Would a heavier buffer be the more desirable one to start with?

I don't think it says on my invoice. Maybe I can find the original order in my email to see if it says which weight I picked.

EDIT:
    I checked my email and the order just says "Heavy buffer - buffer tube completion kit"
    They had a sale/promo where the Blade by itself was $48.50 and you got a free KAK tube and then the "completion kit" (spring/buffer/castle nut/endplate) was $20. (I think it was $15/$17 with the standard carbine buffer)
    Last edited by Emptymag; September 9th, 2016 at 09:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

There's carbine, H, H2 and H3. The buffer should be marked with either of those letters unless standard carbine.

I like to use the heaviest buffer that will still shoot cheap underpowered ammo. It helps reduce felt recoil and wear and tear on parts, especially with the shorter barrels.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast