Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Another Gun in a Box - AR15 Pistol Build

I'm going to look into the sports bags.
    My only concern is that since not designed for a firearm, they may not be strong enough or thick enough, or able to keep it in place within the bag.

Wasn't sure if anyone was familiar with another purpose-built bag of this nature.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    That's a sweet looking gun EM. So forgive my ignorance here but what exactly makes that a pistol and not an SBR? I'm familiar with those brace things but what you have looks like a stock to my uninformed eyes. How does that work?

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    That's a sweet looking gun EM. So forgive my ignorance here but what exactly makes that a pistol and not an SBR? I'm familiar with those brace things but what you have looks like a stock to my uninformed eyes. How does that work?
    The manufacturers of these devices submitted documentation to the ATF detailing how they were designed and intended use. The Sig Brace was designed to be strapped around your forearm, the Blade on EM's is designed to rest against the forearm i.e. neither according to the manufacturer is DESIGNED as a shoulder stock, therefore they did not change the classification of the pistol to SBR.

Once upon a time the ATF opined that even if one did shoulder the devices it did not reclassify the weapon, well that was once upon a time, and they have rescinded that opinion. Now you know the rest of the story.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

This is what I've always envisioned a AR pistol to look like. The more compact the better!

2_NEW_SAA_AR_Pistol_s__79865_1447891103_1280_1280.jpg
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This is what I've always envisioned a AR pistol to look like. The more compact the better!

2_NEW_SAA_AR_Pistol_s__79865_1447891103_1280_1280.jpg

That's what I pictured too.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    The manufacturers of these devices submitted documentation to the ATF detailing how they were designed and intended use. The Sig Brace was designed to be strapped around your forearm, the Blade on EM's is designed to rest against the forearm i.e. neither according to the manufacturer is DESIGNED as a shoulder stock, therefore they did not change the classification of the pistol to SBR.

Once upon a time the ATF opined that even if one did shoulder the devices it did not reclassify the weapon, well that was once upon a time, and they have rescinded that opinion. Now you know the rest of the story.

Thanks. So these devices are legal in the eyes of the ATF as long as they're used "correctly" but putting one against your should makes it illegal. Good to know.

(Allegheny County)

That's what I pictured too.

Thanks. So these devices are legal in the eyes of the ATF as long as they're used "correctly" but putting one against your should makes it illegal. Good to know.
    Zactly!

Glad they got that all cleared up for you.

The blade is much lighter than the sig brace.
    And it doesn't look as goofy.

(Wyoming County)

This is probably the best summary regarding the AR pistol/Arm brace issue that I've seen.

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    This is probably the best summary regarding the AR pistol/Arm brace issue that I've seen.

Sheesh. Some people really reach for reasons not to do things that are perfectly legal.

I'll mount a GoPro cam to the buffer so there's always recorded evidence of the blade not coming into contact with my shoulder.

Shot it a bunch this weekend at the group shoot.
    I wanted to have other people shoot it so I could stand off to the side to see if there was a notable difference vs shooting it.
    Nope. No "blast". No concussion. No flash. No fireball. No nothing. Just sounded like any other AR15 being fired.

(Allegheny County)

I added an Ergo Never Quit magwell grip.

See my review here for detailed closeup photos.

Since the pistol balances differently than a carbine and there isn't a whole lot of real estate on the hand guard to grasp, this makes the option of using a magwell grip more... grippy.

For the naysayers of the magwell hold I say this - just because the Ergo grip is THERE does not mean it must be used.
    It's nice to have options though. I've never held a carbine by the magwell simply because it doesn't feel right, but that isn't the case with this pistol.

Also since last posted I have added a sling.

I chose a Frank Proctor Way of the Gun sling to try out. (link)
    (a pretty decent overview found here and a Youtube video showing attachment and usage here)

I wanted something that wasn't wide, and bulky with flappy shit dangling around - just a simple, tidy sling. This is just that with the added bonus of being "quick adjust" like the ones you have to yank the tabs to adjust.

It may not be ideal for everyone but I'm happy with it for this pistol. (I went another route for my carbines)
    The unique paracord attachment points eliminate the need for additional, costly sling mounts making this $30 sling that much more appealing to those on a budget.

On the topic of slings, one of the bonuses of the Shockwave Blade over the Sig Arm Brace is the ability to run a sling in nearly the same manner as with a traditional stock. Nice.
    Last edited by Emptymag; December 4th, 2016 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Sheesh. Some people really reach for reasons not to do things that are perfectly legal.

I'll mount a GoPro cam to the buffer so there's always recorded evidence of the blade not coming into contact with my shoulder.

Shot it a bunch this weekend at the group shoot.
    I wanted to have other people shoot it so I could stand off to the side to see if there was a notable difference vs shooting it.
    Nope. No "blast". No concussion. No flash. No fireball. No nothing. Just sounded like any other AR15 being fired.

So basically if the Government doesn't like the way you're holding the pistol, they'll say it's an illegal gun?

Insanity.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast