Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Another Gun in a Box - AR15 Pistol Build

I went back and looked for comments/questions that I can now address after finally having fired it...

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    How's it coming along?
    I have a 7.5 pistol that is hands down everyone's favorite to shoot out of the lot...something about big fireballs puts a big smile on people's faces!!
    NO fireball. None. Zip. Nada.
    PWS CQB compensator for the WIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I've done a lot of research as well as talk with a few guys that know a thing or two about short barreled AR's before doing my SBR's. They all suggested the shortest to go was 10.3" with 11.5" being the best option.

The two main reasons are reliability and ballistics, from everything I've read and talked to these reasons and specifically reliability was the main reason.

It's also very hard on parts the shorter you go.

The issue that seems to be the most consistent is reliability because of the pistol length gas system.

Hopefully yours runs good, if you have any issues you may have to go with an adjustable gas block, different buffer/spring combo.

I run H2's in my 10.5" and 11.5" SBR's, both run perfect so far. I'm anxious to see how your build runs.
    So far so good. I was pressed for time and only put 80 rounds or so through it, but no issues.
    I only had Perfecta .223 55 gr in my box as well as about 30 rounds of remanufactured stuff. I lost the label and can't recall what grain bullet is in that stuff.
    I'll have to look into what ammo is best suited for a short barrel with a 1:8 twist.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I wounder if the CQB comp is going to make it feel Top heavy or barrel heavy.. ?
    It does - a little. Maybe more than a little.
    I've held a few AR pistols that I could hold in one outstretched hand, but this one takes a bit of effort for my puny arm to do that for too long. Gets a bit shakey.

The barrel itself is heavy profile so I'd assume it will be a little on the heavy side for what it is, that may be a good thing though as it may help reduce the felt recoil.
    Yep and yep.
    Ever since I discovered the joy of a thinner profile barrel, I want nothing to do with a gun that's heavier than it needs to be. Gimme a lightweight any day.
    That said, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth when a barrel is offered to you.
    In the end though I think the added weight does have to help control it a bit. I'd be curious to try a lighter one side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Not yet, looking to see if my distributors can get it, that way it's close to cost for me. Yeah I saw the YT SBR video, then showed it to some of the guys at the shop. You picked a winner device!
    SO glad I didn't spend all that money only to still have fireballs and shock waves!
    I'll hold off on awarding it the trophy until I shoot it a bit more, but so far, it certainly does look like a winner.

In addition to specifically watching for any sign of "fire" while shooting, I propped up my phone and got video of me rapidly firing 15 rounds and not one flash appears in playback.

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Is this the gun pictures forum or the gun-tease forum?
    Many more photos taken at the range today. Please stand by...

Quote Originally Posted by TOA View Post
    Saaaweeet stick!!!

How's she feel in the hands?

I just started to gather parts for my build.

Congrats, and looking forward to a range report.
    As mentioned - a bit front-heavy, but still "light" and handy.
    It doesn't take any effort to hold it up, just a little support.

Quote Originally Posted by TOA View Post
    Couple questions after you have time to get more thoughts together....

1- would you have went with a different tube profile? (Thinner barell profile)

2- would you have went with a different muzzle device?

3- how do you like the length?

I am really liking your build.
    I want to say I'd go lighter/thinner, but I'm thinking the weight may be beneficial in the end.

Muzzle device lives up to it's promise thus far, so no - I'm happy with this choice. It works AND looks badass.

Length is as ideal as it can get.
    I wanted the shortest barrel length I could get away with and while I'd be even happier without the added length of the CQB Comp, it's still way, way more compact than a carbine. Appearance is once again an added bonus. While looking at literally dozens of pistol pics, I found myself drawn to the ones with the 7-7.5" barrels each time.

To summarize:

I'm flippin' happier than a dog with two tails with how this turned out and I look forward to tweaking it just a little more to make it "just right".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I went back and looked for comments/questions that I can now address after finally having fired it...

NO fireball. None. Zip. Nada.
    PWS CQB compensator for the WIN!!!

So far so good. I was pressed for time and only put 80 rounds or so through it, but no issues.
    I only had Perfecta .223 55 gr in my box as well as about 30 rounds of remanufactured stuff. I lost the label and can't recall what grain bullet is in that stuff.
    I'll have to look into what ammo is best suited for a short barrel with a 1:8 twist.

It does - a little. Maybe more than a little.
    I've held a few AR pistols that I could hold in one outstretched hand, but this one takes a bit of effort for my puny arm to do that for too long. Gets a bit shakey.

Yep and yep.
    Ever since I discovered the joy of a thinner profile barrel, I want nothing to do with a gun that's heavier than it needs to be. Gimme a lightweight any day.
    That said, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth when a barrel is offered to you.
    In the end though I think the added weight does have to help control it a bit. I'd be curious to try a lighter one side by side.

SO glad I didn't spend all that money only to still have fireballs and shock waves!
    I'll hold off on awarding it the trophy until I shoot it a bit more, but so far, it certainly does look like a winner.

In addition to specifically watching for any sign of "fire" while shooting, I propped up my phone and got video of me rapidly firing 15 rounds and not one flash appears in playback.

Many more photos taken at the range today. Please stand by...

As mentioned - a bit front-heavy, but still "light" and handy.
    It doesn't take any effort to hold it up, just a little support.

I want to say I'd go lighter/thinner, but I'm thinking the weight may be beneficial in the end.

Muzzle device lives up to it's promise thus far, so no - I'm happy with this choice. It works AND looks badass.

Length is as ideal as it can get.
    I wanted the shortest barrel length I could get away with and while I'd be even happier without the added length of the CQB Comp, it's still way, way more compact than a carbine. Appearance is once again an added bonus. While looking at literally dozens of pistol pics, I found myself drawn to the ones with the 7-7.5" barrels each time.

To summarize:

I'm flippin' happier than a dog with two tails with how this turned out and I look forward to tweaking it just a little more to make it "just right".
    There's a lot you can to to reduce felt recoil, even on a lt wt. Muzzle break, adjustable gas block, buffer/spring combo, get all these right and there's virtually no muzzle rise/felt recoil.

(Allegheny County)

There's a lot you can to to reduce felt recoil, even on a lt wt. Muzzle break, adjustable gas block, buffer/spring combo, get all these right and there's virtually no muzzle rise/felt recoil.

I am not opposed to seeking upgrades to "enhance the shooting experience". LOL

Recoil/muzzle climb aren't as bad as I had feared it would be, but considering the brace has to be placed against the cheek, any reduction in those is a welcome thing.

I'm just happy it runs right out of the box. (of parts)

(Allegheny County)

I took my 2015 build along yesterday to compare "muzzle blast".

Time was short and the only ammo that was in my box was Perfecta 223 and some reloads I had acquired during the great panic of 1886. (seems like it was just yesterday)
    Not a lot of shooting - just under 100 rds to make sure she ticks.

PEW! PEW!

I'd give it two thumbs up, but my right hand is occupied.

This is where the pews come from...

Not sure if that oil was factory oil from the comp internals, or if I blew it out the barrel.
    I pretty much bathed the BCG and internal surfaces in lube.
    As can be seen, there is plenty of clearance around the PWS CQB comp. I suppose this Aero Quantum handguard is well suited for supressors as well?
    Oh, and that sucker gets hot! (the comp)

Wanna go back and try shooting again when the sun is going down to see if I can notice any flash.
    I saw none at all as I was shooting and as mentioned, none showed in the video playback either.

Whats the total weight? Im closing on a 1x8 223 Wylde 10 inch barrel for my build and using an Anderson lower (just so I dont have to worry about popo not knowing that 80% is legal). I know, I know - but I dont think three extra inches will hinder me from operating operationally.
    Hold the Line...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Whats the total weight? Im closing on a 1x8 223 Wylde 10 inch barrel for my build and using an Anderson lower (just so I dont have to worry about popo not knowing that 80% is legal). I know, I know - but I dont think three extra inches will hinder me from operating operationally.
    Good question. Wish I had been able to weigh the barrel before assembly, but our kitchen scale broke a while back.

I could hop on the bathroom scale with it though and do some math...

(Allegheny County)

Well, this is only going to be as accurate as my bathroom scale and I really don't know how accurate it is.

I had an idea to weigh myself first while holding a 5lb workout dumbbell to check accuracy, but again, that will only be as accurate as the ACTUAL weight of the dumbbell. Is it REALLY 5 lbs? By weighing myself with it and subtracting my weight it only shows the dumbbell as being 4.6 lbs.

With all that gibberish out of the way, the pistol shows as 5.6 lbs.

Now you have me really curious to know if that is accurate. I'm going to have to find someone with a good scale!

Mrs EM just told me to take it to the post office. LOL!!!

(Allegheny County)

pic thread...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Well, this is only going to be as accurate as my bathroom scale and I really don't know how accurate it is.

I had an idea to weigh myself first while holding a 5lb workout dumbbell to check accuracy, but again, that will only be as accurate as the ACTUAL weight of the dumbbell. Is it REALLY 5 lbs? By weighing myself with it and subtracting my weight it only shows the dumbbell as being 4.6 lbs.

With all that gibberish out of the way, the pistol shows as 5.6 lbs.

Now you have me really curious to know if that is accurate. I'm going to have to find someone with a good scale!

Mrs EM just told me to take it to the post office. LOL!!!
    If accurate..... I would take back that dumbbell for a refund....

(Allegheny County)

Remember, fall is just a few days away!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast