Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of ammo

(Montgomery County)

Default Cost of ammo

Can anyone explain why the cost of 1000 rounds of 158 grain, .357 magnum in brass casing varies so much. It ranged from $600 down to about $300.

Default Re: Cost of ammo

Mainly depends on where it is made and what type of bullet it uses.

I think you could say that about all ammo. Pick a caliber and I can find some pretty amazing extremes in pricing.

Are you talking the same manufacturer and make of ammo varying? Some manufacturers absorb additional handling, shipping, etc... and this is offset be price mark ups. Others recoup all of this through shipping costs. I've found some great deals over the years until the shipping fees are added (think Cheaper than Dirt).

You also have to consider what the wholesaler is paying. If it is a caliber they purchase in small quantities they will pay more where bulk purchasers get discounts.

Quality, quantity, packaging... there are so many variables we could discuss this forever. I'm not busting your balls but do you expect all brands of bourbon to cost the same? There's a reason Woodford Reserve 1838 cost $100 where Jim Beam is $15.
    Last edited by MT1; September 1st, 2016 at 04:16 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I think you could say that about all ammo. Pick a caliber and I can find some pretty amazing extremes in pricing.

Are you talking the same manufacturer and make of ammo varying? Some manufacturers absorb additional handling, shipping, etc... and this is offset be price mark ups. Others recoup all of this through shipping costs. I've found some great deals over the years until the shipping fees are added (think Cheaper than Dirt).

You also have to consider what the wholesaler is paying. If it is a caliber they purchase in small quantities they will pay more where bulk purchasers get discounts.
    Great analysis on the economics and the purchase commitment quantities.

While I'm preachin' to the choir, you also have to consider the component sourcing.

First, there was plenty of lead everywhere, then environmental lobby folks got involved and there were fewer refineries (price of lead goes up).

Then there was Flint, Michigan - not so much the murders there and the recovered bullets, but their water source and the lead pipes involved, so there was plenty of lead (price of lead goes down, new refineries open).

And of course, there was Wal-mart - who started carrying bulk packs of reloaded ammo with a variety of brass and a box of 100 .357's was $26 (that's $260 per THOUSAND).

But the price of primers went up at least a penny or two during the period from "then" 'til "now", which, like and Eppipen, warrants a 6,000% mark-up on cost.

The thing to do here is write your Congressman and share with him or her your concerns.

That ought to keep you believing for a while that whomever you voted for is working hard for you.

I'm pretty sure you'll get a follow-on letter about a fund-raiser soon to be held in your area...
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post

I'm pretty sure you'll get a follow-on letter about a fund-raiser soon to be held in your area...
    Spot on!

(Indiana County)

I don't ever recall seeing remanufactured ammo at Walmart.

Gander Mtn and F&S do, but what did WM sell if I may ask if you can recall?

I reload, so my 'cost' is very reasonable, using my old reliable Dillon 550 machine and carbide dies to save time and avoid lobe. . I don't cast my own bullets ..yet, but I hear that saves even more if you use used wheel weights. I live "out in the county" & have a back yard pistol range and just shot 200 rds of my own 9mm and .357mag aaaaaahhhhh!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I don't ever recall seeing remanufactured ammo at Walmart.

Gander Mtn and F&S do, but what did WM sell if I may ask if you can recall?
    It was .357 Mag....
    - bamboomaster

(York County)

They will charge $600 for $300 ammo if enough people will pay it. Basic supply and demand economics.

(Montgomery County)

So you think the pricing arbitrary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast