Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club closed?

I hadn't been there yet this year, and just went to their webpage and it says they're closed until further notice.

Does anybody know what happened? Why did they close, and when will they reopen?

I liked going there because I could usually get an area by myself and not have to wait for other people to stop to check targets, etc.

(Allegheny County)

they were raided by the ATF in april. i'm not sure what the story was on that. knowing the people at the GPGC, though, i highly doubt they were actually doing anything wrong...most likely another ATF witch hunt.

they had been open, though, just without selling any guns or ammo (ATF seized it all). i was out there a couple of weeks ago for an IDPA match...had been out there several times since the ATF raid. they were making plans for the annual steak cookout, so, at that point, they were not planning on closing.

this is the first i heard it was totally closed. that sucks. gotta find a new place to shoot IDPA...and a new place where i can practice shooting while moving, etc.

arrrrgghhh. i hate the ATF.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota
    they were raided by the ATF in april. i'm not sure what the story was on that. knowing the people at the GPGC, though, i highly doubt they were actually doing anything wrong...most likely another ATF witch hunt.

they had been open, though, just without selling any guns or ammo (ATF seized it all). i was out there a couple of weeks ago for an IDPA match...had been out there several times since the ATF raid. they were making plans for the annual steak cookout, so, at that point, they were not planning on closing.

this is the first i heard it was totally closed. that sucks. gotta find a new place to shoot IDPA...and a new place where i can practice shooting while moving, etc.

arrrrgghhh. i hate the ATF.
    Man that sucks! I was gonna go out there and check out the rifle range.. Afaik there is no other place near pittsburgh to shoot farther than 100 meters..

(Allegheny County)

Ya know, I stumbled across this on another forum & was shocked. At first a though it was due to the Findley Connector construction, but then I found this. Shocking to say the least. In any case, since that option is now out, does anyone know any good public ranges to shoot at? I'm from Kennedy Twp/Coraopolis area.

(Allegheny County)

hey yinger...

there is a public state gameland range not too far from you...near the 910 exit off of I79.

you can read all about it in the following thread:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=212

(Allegheny County)

Default GPGC bbs offline

Although the main web page just says Closed, there was a forum online with obout 24 members. http://www.greaterpghgunclb.com/phpbb/
    There wasn't much info posted about it's closing but it was up and running as late as this morning. However, its now gone too. This doesn't look good for members of GPGC, especially those who've paid their annual dues this month like me. I feel like they took my $45.00 knowing they were/could shut down. Even if they didn't, they should make an effort to inform their members as to what is happening and what will be done about refunds and the like.

(Beaver County)

This is the most depressing thing I have heard! I was there May 28th. No mention of the ATF raid. I wish the range was still open, rather han me getting a turkey this spring. I have been going there since I was 16. I am now 32. I live in Cleveland now. There is nothing comparible. Camp Perry is a military only range after the NRA matches. The local shotgun ranges (in the Cleveland area) are run by idiots, or they are way too expensive.
    Perhaps a letter writing campaign to the NRA would at least get the NRA to take it over. Arrgh, it is one of a kind!

Tony

(Allegheny County)

Default GPGC closed: a big loss

I had been a member for ~20 years and really enjoyed all the different ranges they had. My wife and I assumed we would teach our kids to shoot there as well. Plus we liked that they were open to the public, for practical as well as philosophical reasons. For some activities there are no ranges that come close in the Pittsburgh area.
    Can anyone recommend a public range that has skeet or sporting clays?

Thanks.

Andy

Arrow No info

Yup some people will recognise this name, and before you all ask, I have no more info then you do, You think your all bored, I lost a place to shoot and a place to write!

GPGC was to my knowledge the only "public" range for skeet in the area. Believe me, when it opens up, I will be spending time on the range!

(Allegheny County)

Sooo, you're saying its going to re-open?

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast