Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Article debunks entire "AWB" issue

Quote Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
    Agree that the article may be a useful tool, but I think Shooter in Pa has a point. The author's use of the word "generally" does not really excuse the sloppy opening definition. In addition, there was absolutely no requirement or useful purpose to include handguns, so right off the bat the definition is too broad and misleading. If I were editing that article, I would have asked the author to clean it up.

Shooter's criticism and premise are correct. Why should we accept yet another broadening of the definition of "Assault Weapon" regardless of who is writing it?
    With the exception of the SKS, are there any other semi-auto, centerfire, rifled "AW"s that don't have a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip? Are there states that ban long gun "AW"s that don't ban, or name, their pistol variants?

I, too, wish there was no definition of "AW", but I don't know how you write a scholarly paper proving the illegality of a ban on a particular thing if you don't at least loosely describe the parameters of the ban and the thing so you can debunk it.

Also, I again, don't believe Cramer is expanding or even writing the definition of "AW"... but pointing out that, generally speaking, all firearms considered "AW"s have a detachable magazine... (this is true) and that there is a long list of other firearms with detachable magazines that are not considered "AW"s (this is also true... barely in CA, but still true) and that you (antis) can't use a detachable magazine to define an "AW".

I re-read the first two pages to be sure... and his opening paragraph clearly states his position... that these banned items are "functionally identical" to not banned items. Also, he uses quotation marks around the words "Assault Weapon" and "AW" (at least on the first page), as I do, to inform the reader that this is a word someone else has used.

The term, however, and, numerous different definitions, exist in law, and are used by the very people that this paper is intended to inform. I don't know how else to accomplish the task differently.

(Bucks County)

It doesn't matter what we say. They'll just say, "Fine, we'll ban [insert another gun here] then."

(Cambria County)

A musket is an assault weapon (rifle, if rifled). A revolver is an assault weapon. There are all manner of assault rifles/weapons out there, and it is our right to keep and bear them! OWN IT!

It's the PC crazies that are trying to use 'language' to control you. Stand your ground.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    A musket is an assault weapon (rifle, if rifled). A revolver is an assault weapon. There are all manner of assault rifles/weapons out there, and it is our right to keep and bear them! OWN IT!

It's the PC crazies that are trying to use 'language' to control you. Stand your ground.
    A large number of Muslim refugees and illegal aliens are assault weapons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12