Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default 6.5 creedmoor rifle

Looking at a rifle chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I like the ballistics and recoil of the creedmoor. I'm just worried about ammo availability in the future. With Hornady being the only manufacturer I'm worried they may decide it's not profitable. At this point i don't reload and don't know if our when i will in the future so im stuck with factory ammo. I don't want to be SOL in a few years if there's no one making it.

So my question. Does it seem likely 6.5 creedmoor is here to stay or a passing fad?

Trying to figure it out before i put the money out on the rifle. Could always just rebarrel it if 6.5 cm goes away i guess.

Default Re: 6.5 creedmoor rifle

Nosler, Winchester and Federal offer 6.5 Creedmoore ammo too. I don't think the round is going anywhere for some time but you never know what the future holds. Some very good cartridges that you would have thought would be popular ended up flopping.

As of now there are quite a few more factory ammo offerings in .260 remington than the 6.5 creedmoore. Ballistics are pretty much identical between the two. The .260 Rem has the advantage of having the .308 as its parent case. So if you reload or may get into reloading in the future you will have a good supply of fairly cheap .308 brass available to make .260Rem from.

(Bucks County)

Just save your brass. If the Creedmoore goes belly up (and I don't think it will be around in 100 years) start reloading. It will cost you a couple hundred dollars but your $1000 rifle will not be a doorstop.

Without doing an internet search..........Its just a trimmed necked down .308. Once you get into reloading its easy to make. You will eventually come up with something more accurate for your rifle too (and not $1.50+ a round).

6.5's with a 140 gr bullet rock.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Just save your brass. If the Creedmoore goes belly up (and I don't think it will be around in 100 years) start reloading. It will cost you a couple hundred dollars but your $1000 rifle will not be a doorstop.

Without doing an internet search..........Its just a trimmed necked down .308. Once you get into reloading its easy to make. You will eventually come up with something more accurate for your rifle too (and not $1.50+ a round).

6.5's with a 140 gr bullet rock.
    I'm not too worried about 100 years. Figure it'll be my grandkids problem if the rifles still in the family by then. As for reloads, sounds like the 6.5mm bullets are readily available due to the number of 6.5 configurations, and cases I've heard trim/neck .308 or some other caliber cases actually work. I'm just looking at the limited availability wondering if the trade off for quality/ballistics are worth it. Up until this point every gun I've bought I've been able to walk into wally world and pick up ammo (granted not 22LR most of the time due to OOS but still.) I'm just hesitant knowing that CM isn't that kind of round. Seems to be plenty of ammo online though.

Why do people worry about silly things??? The 6.5 Creedmoor is the most popular caliber. Why would it go anywhere when it has some serious advantages over the tried/true .308?

Even if the 6.5CM disappears in the future, you can always rebarrel the firearm to a different caliber.

Don't make a problem that doesn't exist.

Buy rifle...shoot rifle, enjoy rifle.

(Bucks County)

Creedmoor is definitely plunging in popularity and is being rapidly overshadowed by far superior cartridges. In spite of all that, I am willing to run the risk of owning a has-been Creedmoor, mainly because I will be checking out within the next short fifteen to twenty years, or less. If you buy that rifle and realize your mistake, I'll give you a couple hundred for it. Where can we meet?

(Lycoming County)

Ammo is pretty readily available now for it. If you really love the caliber, buy it now and stack it deep. If you see it starting to get scarce, buy up all you can find and stack it deeper.

I don't see it going anywhere in the near future and components will be available far longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Creedmoor is definitely plunging in popularity and is being rapidly overshadowed by far superior cartridges. In spite of all that, I am willing to run the risk of owning a has-been Creedmoor, mainly because I will be checking out within the next short fifteen to twenty years, or less. If you buy that rifle and realize your mistake, I'll give you a couple hundred for it. Where can we meet?
    How old are you, Bang?! Be positive! The good Lord may have many more years in store for you. My grandmother was just shy of 100 when she passed and we still laugh remembering when she said, "nothing has been right with me since I turned 90."...lol. How many people can say that and then go on to almost 100?!

As to the Creedmoor, is it really that much more accurate than the 260 Rem.? If you look at the two, they seem so close. It seems to me that if you had a 260 Rem. set up properly in a high quality barrel, the accuracy difference should be slim to none. But I'm not an expert in this field, having mainly shot a multitude of old war surplus rifles.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    How old are you, Bang?! Be positive! The good Lord may have many more years in store for you. My grandmother was just shy of 100 when she passed and we still laugh remembering when she said, "nothing has been right with me since I turned 90."...lol. How many people can say that and then go on to almost 100?!

As to the Creedmoor, is it really that much more accurate than the 260 Rem.? If you look at the two, they seem so close. It seems to me that if you had a 260 Rem. set up properly in a high quality barrel, the accuracy difference should be slim to none. But I'm not an expert in this field, having mainly shot a multitude of old war surplus rifles.
    The 6.5 bullet in general lends itself to longer range accuracy, due to its low cod, most long slender bullets due. As for creedmore vs .260 rem vs 6.5x55, it's kinda a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing imho. They will all launch a similar weight bullet with a similar velocity/energy. In a quality bolt action rifle with quality ammo the differences would be little. Certain ones lend themselves better to certain things. Ie: Creedmoore in an ar platform works better and there's far more factory offerings for the 260 and swede, because they've been around longer.

(Berks County)

260 shooter here. I went back & forth before starting in 6.5. Eventually, I settled on 260 because I'm already a reloader & wanted Lapua brass. If you're not hand loading, or just getting started, I wouldn't hesitate going with 6.5 Creed. The 6.5 calibers are obviously hot right now, so availability should be pretty decent.

People still shoot all kinds of defunct/oddball calibers - they just reload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast