Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Got my Ltcf Today

Hey guys got my ltcf today, very happy about it. Was just curious if you guys could give me some good suggestions, on some good reading material in order to educate myself better. In order to carry in a safier way. As well as educate myself more on the subject.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Got my Ltcf Today

Congratulations! You can start by reading through the sticky threads in this section. This flyer has the basics on PA state law concerning carrying - https://goo.gl/B7rz2I

Have you ever taken a basic pistol class? The safety training part of a class is as important as marksmanship.

You should know Jeff Cooper's four safety rules inside and out, and follow them 100% of the time. Google "Jeff Cooper safety rules" if you don't know them.

(Juniata County)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...44E273FFAF5DCD

Hickok45 is perhaps one of the best shooters on the Internets, his advice is good, and he is down to earth. He keeps in mind not everyone has been shooting forever, and through all this videos brings up safety stuff that everyone does....unless you don't.

An NRA membership and the magazines that come with never hurt, and often times bring up little pointers.

This might seem dumb, but make sure you have a good holster. Not nylon. A Hard Kydex or good leather, that holds the weapon, tightly.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

I have not taken any classes yet. I plan on attending a class with my cousin very soon. Also I don't plan on carrying until I get some good practice, as well as educate myself. Thanks for the two suggestions. I will look into them now.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse1215 View Post
    I have not taken any classes yet. I plan on attending a class with my cousin very soon. Also I don't plan on carrying until I get some good practice, as well as educate myself. Thanks for the two suggestions. I will look into them now.
    One thing that I had not ever given a thought.

Don't unload your carry semi -auto gun unless there is a reason (IE, I am going to clean it). Every time you chamber a round, it pushes the bullet farther back into the casing. Some smart people on the forum pointed that out, and low and behold, when I checked my ammo I could set it on the table and see "shorter" rounds. I deal with this by attempting to keep the round I chamber rotated through my magazines, and always shooting my carry ammo (at least a magazine or two) when I go to the range, in addition to whatever practice ammo I have. I also stopped unloading my carry pistol if I don't have to.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001