Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is it still legal to sell a rifle face to face in Pa? Specifically in Philadelphia?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this (mods please move to appropriate place if necessary), but I'd like to know if it's legal to sell a lever action rifle face to face in Philly Pa? If so, what would I require from the purchaser, a copy of their DL, LTCF, etc.?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Is it still legal to sell a rifle face to face in Pa? Specifically in Philadelphi

Yes it's legal. It's not required to do bill of sale. Make sure the purchaser is a PA resident.

Default Re: Is it still legal to sell a rifle face to face in Pa? Specifically in Philadelphi

Quote Originally Posted by steelerballs View Post
    Yes it's legal. It's not required to do bill of sale. Make sure the purchaser is a PA resident.
    Do I need to obtain a copy of their DL or LTCF?

(Lackawanna County)

It's up to you. You are not legally obliged to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Do I need to obtain a copy of their DL or LTCF?

So long as you have no reason to believe the buyer is prohibited, you do not need to require anything.

If I didn't know the buyer and being that you are so near the border with other states, I would at a minimum want to see a PA driver's license as proof of PA residency. (sales that cross state lines require a FFL transfer)

I personally make it a point to only buy long guns FTF unless I can't find what I want from a private seller.
    While I don't have to, I typically offer to show my driver's license to the seller in person and if they are not local, I generally offer to send a copy of my DL and/or LTCF to them for their records. I do this on my own accord - it is not a requirement - it just eases the mind of the seller that he has at least gotten some info about me.

Here's a Bill of Sale that I have used many times. It has all the same questions that are posed on the federal forms that an FFL would use.
    Print two, fill out your info on both and have the buyer do the same - each of you keeps a copy. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Again - Bill of Sale not required. Complete as much or as little of the info as you want. Mainly you want the signature and proof of PA residency.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    So long as you have no reason to believe the buyer is prohibited, you do not need to require anything.

If I didn't know the buyer and being that you are so near the border with other states, I would at a minimum want to see a PA driver's license as proof of PA residency. (sales that cross state lines require a FFL transfer)

I personally make it a point to only buy long guns FTF unless I can't find what I want from a private seller.
    While I don't have to, I typically offer to show my driver's license to the seller in person and if they are not local, I generally offer to send a copy of my DL and/or LTCF to them for their records. I do this on my own accord - it is not a requirement - it just eases the mind of the seller that he has at least gotten some info about me.

Here's a Bill of Sale that I have used many times. It has all the same questions that are posed on the federal forms that an FFL would use.
    Print two, fill out your info on both and have the buyer do the same - each of you keeps a copy. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Again - Bill of Sale not required. Complete as much or as little of the info as you want. Mainly you want the signature and proof of PA residency.
    Wow, thanks for all of that info and link to bill of sale. I didn't know I could sell and ship within the state so long as the recipient is a PA resident.
    Thanks to all for the prompt responses!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Wow, thanks for all of that info and link to bill of sale. I didn't know I could sell and ship within the state so long as the recipient is a PA resident.
    Thanks to all for the prompt responses!

You did not ask about shipping, just selling FTF.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    You did not ask about shipping, just selling FTF.
    My response about shipping within PA was due to a quote from Emptymag, "I personally make it a point to only buy long guns FTF unless I can't find what I want from a private seller.
    While I don't have to, I typically offer to show my driver's license to the seller in person and if they are not local, I generally offer to send a copy of my DL and/or LTCF to them for their records. I do this on my own accord - it is not a requirement - it just eases the mind of the seller that he has at least gotten some info about me."

Ooops, having read that quote more carefully, I see he may not have meant sending a copy of his DL or LTCF along with the rifle, but to send it to them if they wanted it after the FTF sale. Am I correct?

(Allegheny County)

Are you sitting down?

You can mail long guns via USPS (US Postal Service) so long as you follow their terms. (some of postal employees don't know this though)

Rifles/shotguns... "long guns" only - NO handguns through USPS.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast