Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Anyone carrying a Makarov?

Yes, I am still carrying a Makarov (a real Makarov, not a PA-63 or P64,etc.) loaded with Underwood ammo. I have a 1911 that I use as a house gun, the thing is just too big to haul around all day. I also have a S&W 442 to pop in my pocket now and then, but the Makarov still does it for me with it's ruggedness, accuracy and reliability. When I see the problems pistols like the Rem. R51 are still having, it makes me love my Mak all the more. I know it will never be a 9x19, but with Underwood ammo it does okay :-)
    Anyone else still feeling the love for PM 9x18?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone carrying a Makarov?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Yes, I am still carrying a Makarov (a real Makarov, not a PA-63 or P64,etc.) loaded with Underwood ammo. I have a 1911 that I use as a house gun, the thing is just too big to haul around all day. I also have a S&W 442 to pop in my pocket now and then, but the Makarov still does it for me with it's ruggedness, accuracy and reliability. When I see the problems pistols like the Rem. R51 are still having, it makes me love my Mak all the more. I know it will never be a 9x19, but with Underwood ammo it does okay :-)
    Anyone else still feeling the love for PM 9x18?
    The R51 was fixed.

(Lycoming County)

I carry a CZ 82 regularly. Not a true mak, but similar. I carry 95gr Hornady xtp loads. It's a little thicker than the mak, but is still a nice size IMO.

There is a guy on YouTube that did a test on the "new" R51 and it seemed to function with hotter loads using heavier bullets, but he had problems with some 115gr loads and some badly bulged cases. Still worries me about the amount of unsupported chamber the R51 has. I hope it works out for Remington, I hear it shoots pretty softly for a +P rated 9x19 of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I carry a CZ 82 regularly. Not a true mak, but similar. I carry 95gr Hornady xtp loads. It's a little thicker than the mak, but is still a nice size IMO.
    Did you ever try the Underwood loaded with the Hornady XTP bullet? It's considerably hotter and priced very competitively. Check out Underwoodammo.com (and no, I don't work for them.)

(Lycoming County)

Did you ever try the Underwood loaded with the Hornady XTP bullet? It's considerably hotter and priced very competitively. Check out Underwoodammo.com (and no, I don't work for them.)
    Never tried them. I got a decent deal on a couple hundred of the Hornady custom loaded. The gun seems to like them, so that's what I stuck with. I hand load, so I could always work up something similar if I wanted to go "hotter" with the xtp's. In reality, when I want to carry something a little stronger, I usually just switch to a different gun in 9x19 or .45. The company 82 gets the nod a lot of the time. I also carry a m43 firestar, a 1911, and a lcr .357 frequently. I might be odd, but I switch up quite a bit depending on how I'm carrying and how I feel that day. I would say over the summer, the 82 has probably gotten the lions share of holster time though.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Never tried them. I got a decent deal on a couple hundred of the Hornady custom loaded. The gun seems to like them, so that's what I stuck with. I hand load, so I could always work up something similar if I wanted to go "hotter" with the xtp's. In reality, when I want to carry something a little stronger, I usually just switch to a different gun in 9x19 or .45. The company 82 gets the nod a lot of the time. I also carry a m43 firestar, a 1911, and a lcr .357 frequently. I might be odd, but I switch up quite a bit depending on how I'm carrying and how I feel that day. I would say over the summer, the 82 has probably gotten the lions share of holster time though.
    I know what you mean, I've been entertaining the idea of a S&W Shield in either 9x19 or 45acp. Please talk me out of it!

(Elk County)

I carry an EG Makarov loaded with Barnaul JHPs and have done so since the early-mid 90s. It gets rotated with either a SIG P228, a Glock G19, or a SIG Ultra Carry 1911.

The "PM" Makarov is reliable and accurate and I can hit anything at which I aim out to ~35-40 yards. Claybirds on the 25 yd berm are not safe at all.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I carry a russian mak.

(Lycoming County)

I know what you mean, I've been entertaining the idea of a S&W Shield in either 9x19 or 45acp. Please talk me out of it!
    You don't need no tactical Tupperware.

How's that?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast