Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default LTCF Investigation

Just out of curiosity, how far can a sheriff actually dig into an investigation on a person. If they can't find any type of criminal activity on your record. Do they have any other means of shutting the door on you. I guess my main question is how much privacy do we really have?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: LTCF Investigation

When they tell you that you can't have a license because your grandfather once got a ticket for jaywalking.

(Chester County)

Welcome to the forum. If you search previous threads or stick around a while you'll see plenty of references to "The character and reputation clause". It's an ill defined catch-all if a Sheriff is not inclined to approve, or wishes to revoke one's LTCF. Here is the PA UFA section that addresses your concerns, with the "character and reputation clause" in bold.

§ 6109. Licenses.
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    (d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
    (3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    (4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
    (5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.

This isn't about a LTCF but about buying a rifle from the CMP. Years ago my brother saw an ad stating that war vets could get an M1 Garand from the CMP at a significantly lower price, so he got our dad (WW2 vet) to fill out the papers and send them in. They replied back after some time stating that they needed to do further investigation before it would be approved, there was some irregularity or something. My dad got all flustered about it and told my bro to forget it, that if he wanted one he'd buy it. But my brother kept pressing him about it until he signed the paper to do the further investigation. My dad was worried because he couldn't imagine why they didn't pass it the first time. As it turned out, he had an old arrest for a bar room poker game, it was only a misdemeanor and was cleared up the second time around. But we joked with him for years about that, asking him what other skeletons he had in his closet...lol. I sure miss the old man, he'd be 95 if he were still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    When they tell you that you can't have a license because your grandfather once got a ticket for jaywalking.
    OP's probably asking about PA law, not NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    OP's probably asking about PA law, not NJ.
    NJ would not let you get that far in the process.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    NJ would not let you.
    FIFY