Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Columbia County)

Default Re: Would you lose hearing shooting indoors without hearing protection?

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I have electronic ear muffs right next to the bedside gun.
    Same here. I also ensure ear muffs are at least 26 or more NPR. I double up using headphones and earplugs while shooting on range, sometimes a suppressor on top of that. I avoid and advise other to think twice about buying a short barreled (snub nose) .357 mag revolver for self defense. It's not only too loud in .357 mag for the shooter's unprotected ears but also a hearing danger to everyone else in the vicinity. The same deal with those short barreled shotguns.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Earplugs were/are worn in combat. If you shout a command at me, I can hear it, pluggs or not.

After the first IED, my hearing was so limited that it caused me to (later) question my combat effectiveness. We got it done, but I couldn't hear shit. My TC's ears were bleeding. We reverted to training and reacted appropriately.

When your ears say nothing but, "peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee," you gotta have a plan.

Shooting indoors is likely to cause the, "peeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Furthermore, you have your ears for the rest of your life. Hearing damage is progressive. Take care of those shits.
    1 indoor shot and forever peeeeeeeeeeeeeee, right ear. Sometimes louder sometimes I forget about it. Always there.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Washington County)

About 30 years ago I shot a Remington 700 chambered in 308 from about six feet inside a 2nd-floor window, I was standing close to the wall on my left, to this day my left ear hasn't stopped ringing.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Earplugs were/are worn in combat. If you shout a command at me, I can hear it, pluggs or not.

After the first IED, my hearing was so limited that it caused me to (later) question my combat effectiveness. We got it done, but I couldn't hear shit. My TC's ears were bleeding. We reverted to training and reacted appropriately.

When your ears say nothing but, "peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee," you gotta have a plan.

Shooting indoors is likely to cause the, "peeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Furthermore, you have your ears for the rest of your life. Hearing damage is progressive. Take care of those shits.
    I'm not saying any of y'all are wrong, just that I'm damn lucky:

At the qualification range with my M-16, late 80's. Anyone who's been to the range in the military can tell you that everything is done by the numbers - do what you're told, when you're told, no more, no less. One of the numbers used to be to put in your earplugs.

Pertinent note: Army qualifications at the time were two 20-round timed strings of 20 pop-up targets. Once time starts, it starts. A perfect score does not allow for any misses.

On the day in question I'm in the farthest hole from the tower and, unbeknown to me at the time, the speaker system was cutting out to my end of the line on occasion.

TOWER: "With one magazine of 20 rounds, Lock and Load."

ME: Lock and Load

TOWER: "Rotate your selector switch from Safe to Semi."

ME: Click

TOWER: "Firers, watch your lanes."

ME: "$#!%"

First target popped up. First shot was like a smack in the head from a hammer, followed by the well-known peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Second shot was more like a punch to the head, and the peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee dropped in frequency and sound overall became duller.

After that my head and ears were numb, and I carried on. The peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee went away in 2 or 3 days and the rest of my hearing returned to normal the next day.

My last hearing test showed a 60% loss at 6,000Hz in my left ear (I'm a righty), but otherwise normal. I can still hear a mouse cross a hardwood floor.

Oh, yeah - I shot 40 for 40.
    Last edited by Sgt.K; September 3rd, 2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: left right

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I'm not saying any of y'all are wrong, just that I'm damn lucky:

At the qualification range with my M-16, late 80's. Anyone who's been to the range in the military can tell you that everything is done by the numbers - do what you're told, when you're told, no more, no less. One of the numbers used to be to put in your earplugs.

Pertinent note: Army qualifications at the time were two 20-round timed strings of 20 pop-up targets. Once time starts, it starts. A perfect score does not allow for any misses.

On the day in question I'm in the farthest hole from the tower and, unbeknown to me at the time, the speaker system was cutting out to my end of the line on occasion.

TOWER: "With one magazine of 20 rounds, Lock and Load."

ME: Lock and Load

TOWER: "Rotate your selector switch from Safe to Semi."

ME: Click

TOWER: "Firers, watch your lanes."

ME: "$#!%"

First target popped up. First shot was like a smack in the head from a hammer, followed by the well-known peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Second shot was more like a punch to the head, and the peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee dropped in frequency and sound overall became duller.

After that my head and ears were numb, and I carried on. The peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee went away in 2 or 3 days and the rest of my hearing returned to normal the next day.

My last hearing test showed a 60% loss at 6,000Hz, but otherwise normal. I can still hear a mouse cross a hardwood floor.

Oh, yeah - I shot 40 for 40.
    Yes Sir, damn lucky. Your story reminds me of the way it was when I was a kid. They acted like their was something wrong with my "sensitive" ears and I just needed to get used to it. The best one, here’s a cotton ball, stick it in your ear.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345