Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Would you lose hearing shooting indoors without hearing protection?

I half 50% hearing remaining in left ear and 80% in right ear. ...guns, muscle cars, and music. I suffer from permanent ear ringing today on top of that.

Just one shotgun blast took most of the 50% left ear loss, and it was outdoors. My buddy and I were rabbit hunting in FL, and while I was on my knees tying up a bunny into a bandoleer when my friend said "gator", then I looked to the left to see the muzzle of his 20ga pointing at the gator. ...before I could fully turn away he blasted it while it charged, peppering the fuck out of it - and driving it back into the water. Ever since that day my hearing has been shit.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I half 50% hearing remaining in left ear and 80% in right ear. ...guns, muscle cars, and music. I suffer from permanent ear ringing today on top of that.

Just one shotgun blast took most of the 50% left ear loss, and it was outdoors. My buddy and I were rabbit hunting in FL, and while I was on my knees tying up a bunny into a bandoleer when my friend said "gator", then I looked to the left to see the muzzle of his 20ga pointing at the gator. ...before I could fully turn away he blasted it while it charged, peppering the fuck out of it - and driving it back into the water. Ever since that day my hearing has been shit.
    I never had my hearing checked to see what the percentage of loss is in each ear, but my left ear is better than my right. I can tell when on the phone by changing from side to side. Things sound much lower in my right ear than my left. I also had chronic ear infections as a toddler and had to have tubes put in my ears to keep them drained. The doctor said I may lose a certain percentage from that, but I don't think it was much. It was my stupid teen years that did the damage, especially loud music. Blasting music in the car, through headphones, etc. I wish I could take it all back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Huh?
    WHAT?............
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I have electronic ear muffs right next to the bedside gun.
    This!!
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    How quickly would one permanently damage one's ears shooting indoors without hearing protection? Note I have absolutely no intention of "finding out" unless the absolute worst happens, in which case of course I'd rather be alive with compromised hearing than dead.
    Probably on the first shot.

With each additional shot, additional damage will occur.

(Elk County)

I fired 15 rds of Winchester-Western 158 gr 357 Magnum ammo from a friend's Ruger Blackhawk when I was 16, outdoors, no ear protection. I had the "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound in my ears until an M2 malfunction caught me by surprise without ear protection while a Marine armorer. I was 19 at the time, and the sound I hear now and ever since, that's 43 YEARS, has been "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

WEAR EAR PROTECTION.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

The hearing damage concern is the only reason why I load my Ruger GP100 with the .38 spl. FBI load, and not the full-house 125 gr. .357 magnums. I have a young child in the house as well, and even if I could keep a set of ear muffs near the pistol safe, I cannot be sure to be able to immediately protect the hearing of my wife and kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I fired 15 rds of Winchester-Western 158 gr 357 Magnum ammo from a friend's Ruger Blackhawk when I was 16, outdoors, no ear protection. I had the "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound in my ears until an M2 malfunction caught me by surprise without ear protection while a Marine armorer. I was 19 at the time, and the sound I hear now and ever since, that's 43 YEARS, has been "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

WEAR EAR PROTECTION.

Noah
    This post made me wonder how men in combat don't lose their hearing. How is their hearing not seriously damaged from not only firing their own rifle, but also having their buddies right next to them firing? I got caught a few times at the range by various rifles (including my bro's AR) and it is no joke! And what about multiple battles where they're subjected to the same gunfire over again? It's amazing that they come home with any hearing left at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I have electronic ear muffs right next to the bedside gun.
    This is a very interesting idea, I never thought about electronic ear protection. In fact, I have never used them. Do they provide a full range of hearing while not shooting, or is it still somewhat dulled?
    I might have to look into this, provided I can hear well enough to detect where an assailant might be in my home.

(Bucks County)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast