Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default CCW Walmart customer reacts to active shooter, is killed by 2nd shooter

Good lesson here to mind your own safety and not try to be a hero. CCW guy pursues active shooter in a Walmart but does not realize there is a 2nd bad actor who shoots and kills him...

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: CCW Walmart customer reacts to active shooter, is killed by 2nd shooter

This should be in the Lounge so lurkers and antis can't view it and use it and what we post in other places in support of keeping guns out of the hands of private citizens.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: CCW Walmart customer reacts to active shooter, is killed by 2nd shooter

Tunnel vision can effect many folks, situational awareness can help in some situations. Just looking how most folks saw them walking up but didn't see what was in their hands shows you how blind many are. Good that they are both taking a dirt nap.

(Berks County)

This is old. We had a large thread on it when it happened. I remember Wilcox. Everyone should.

(Northampton County)

The real lesson, if you've had any training, is called "Bad guy plus one."

If you see one, there are two. If you see two, there are three. Etc.

Lastly, we win most battles, but the laws of chance say somebody is going to get the better of us once in a while. None of us are bullet proof and nobody bats 1000.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Bucks County)

She did a good job of pretending she was one of the people of Walmart. I'm not sure who could have picked her out as a perp, just pushing her cart along the isles, hiding her pistol in her purse.

It's a good reminder that if you are ever in a situation like this, nor to follow a BGWG without using cover or concealment or checking your 6:00.

Take a step back to assess the situation before you decide to jump in and get directly involved.

i always get sad when i see videos like this, sure he meant well.
    but there was always the chance another person trying to get involved might've thought wilcox was the perp and retaliated. walmarts are large and you can't see every inch of the store at the same time. someone comes up from the depths of the store rounds another aisle and confuses wilcox as an aggressor.
    easy to confuse. **people confuse the gas and brake on cars in a panic.
    the video does remind me of: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=302849

we're not shepherds of the innocent, at least i'm not. i'd have been out of that store, it appeared he was right by the entrance.
    this is why i carry: http://www.poconorecord.com/article/.../News/80828002
    sorry i'm probably a coward, selfish and evil. people can hero if they want, just not me.

Pedal Application Errors - NHTSA
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    error of mistaking the accelerator pedal for the brake pedal—and the driver, vehicle, .... who is only temporarily confused, e.g., by a distracting noise or thought.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    The real lesson, if you've had any training, is called "Bad guy plus one."

If you see one, there are two. If you see two, there are three. Etc.

Lastly, we win most battles, but the laws of chance say somebody is going to get the better of us once in a while. None of us are bullet proof and nobody bats 1000

Well-stated....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    - bamboomaster

(Juniata County)

I've never seen it. Food for thought.

I still think everyone should act. He did the right thing, and worked to end the threat. He bought time for additional help to arrive on scene, which had first went to a pizza shop nearby, where two officers had already been ambushed & killed. First officer on the 2nd scene (walmart) was also ambushed in exactly the same way as the carrier. He was just luckier that the first three.

By Colton Lochhead
    Las Vegas Review-Journal
    Jerad and Amanda Miller were defiant until the very end.

Cornered after slaying three people and expecting their own deaths, the couple kept up the police-hating rhetoric investigators would later find immortalized in a self-glorifying shrine.

Pinned down in a shootout with Metro inside a northeast valley Wal-Mart, Jerad Miller barked orders at the officers, Metro homicide detective Tate Sanborn said Friday during a public review.

Drop your guns, he said, because he was in charge. He and his wife had already slaughtered two officers, and they would kill more.

But their planned revolution ended after a deadly half hour.

During Friday's review, Sanborn detailed how the June 8, 2014, ambush and shootout unfolded, minute-by-minute.

At 11:18 a.m. that Sunday, Jerad Miller, 31, walked into the CiCi's Pizza at 309 N. Nellis Blvd.

Officers Alyn Beck, 41, and Igor Soldo, 31, were there on break, eating their lunch. Jerad Miller briefly spoke to an employee, then walked out. Two minutes later and Amanda Miller, 22, walked into the restaurant and past the officers, who were seated near the back.

With a quick turn, Sanborn said, the Millers t"simultaneously opened fire on the officers."

The entire assault on the officers lasted just four seconds, Sanborn said.

But they wanted to leave a mark on their work.

They draped Beck's body with a Gadsden flag — a yellow banner with a coiled snake above the words "Don't Tread on Me" — fastened a swastika to him, and dropped a note with both of their signatures.

And they took both officers' pistols and extra magazines.

By 11:25 a.m., Jerad Miller was walking into the main doors of the Wal-Mart just a block away, 201 N. Nellis Blvd. Once inside, he fired a single shot upward and proclaimed the "beginning of a revolution."

Surveillance footage shown during the review showed frightened families fleeing for their lives. Some ran out the front of the store, others through a back freight entrance. Some huddled in the pharmacy hoping to avoid the path of the shooters.

But one man walked toward danger, hoping to stop the rampage.

Joseph Wilcox, 31, was armed with a concealed weapon.

In video footage, he immediately followed Jerad Miller after the warning shot. Wilcox tracked him through the store, not realizing Amanda Miller was behind her husband, pushing a shopping cart.

Wilcox pointed his gun at Jerad Miller.

And as quickly as his gun was brandished, Amanda Miller — holding a pistol with one hand — fired a single shot, killing Wilcox.

The Millers had been inside the store for less than 30 seconds, Sanborn said. The first officer, Brett Brosnahan, had just arrived at CiCi's, where witnesses told him the killers had gone to Wal-Mart.

Brosnahan ran in the rear entrance at 11:28 a.m. He spotted Jerad Miller near the sporting goods section, Sanborn said.

He mirrored Jerad Miller's movements briefly without being seen. But before Brosnahan could engage the extremist, he was spotted by Amanda Miller, who fired at him, Sanborn said. He returned fire and retreated the way he came.

At 11:36 a.m., Sgt. Kurt McKenzie and four other officers also came in through the back of the store. By that time, officers Ryan Fryman and Troy Nicol had begun controlling the store's surveillance cameras and were able to tell their colleagues exactly where the Millers were and what they were doing.

It was at this point Jerad Miller began screaming commands, telling the police what to do.

But by 11:49 a.m., he was dead on the floor of the automotive section, shot in the chest by officer Zack Beal. Amanda Miller is seen on the video shooting herself once in the head. She died after being taken to University Medical Center.

After the shooting, Metro searched the Millers' apartment at 110 S. Bruce Street, which Sanborn described as "unlivable."

Inside they found a ball cap with the word "SHERIFF" covered in fake blood, Sanborn said. The bill is missing a chunk, blown off by a shotgun blast.

Police also found a "manifesto" in a notebook, Sandborn said.

"We have sacrificed everything, including our lives, in the endeavor of liberty....." a page read. "The agents of tyranny only live because we allow it! Well, no more! We wil lead by example, we will take life, for they have left us no other option....The police must understand that they face an enemy that is not paid and who are not afraid to die!"

The review is part of the Clark County district attorney's process for determining whether or not a shooting is legally justified and his held after every fatal police shooting.

Contact reporter Colton Lochhead at clochhead@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-4638. Find him on Twitter: @ColtonLochhead
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; August 19th, 2016 at 03:06 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I've never seen it. Food for thought.

I still think everyone should act. He did the right thing, and worked to end the threat. He bought time for additional help to arrive on scene, which had first went to a pizza shop nearby, where two officers had already been ambushed & killed. First officer on the 2nd scene (walmart) was also ambushed in exactly the same way as the carrier. He was just luckier that the first three.
    Well said. I can't say with 100% certainty what I would do in this situation since it's never happened to me. But, my hope is that I would act to neutralize the threat, especially if I'm the only one on scene who has a chance to put a stop to what could be/already is a massacre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast