Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Anyone experience slam-fire with their SKS? Or know of it first-hand?

Just read in a gun magazine last night, "Reloading for semi-automatics". Writer says SKS are known for slam fires. I don't recall reading enough about it to arrive at "known for".

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anyone experience slam-fire with their SKS? Or know of it first-hand?

Yes, it's something every new owner should be aware of.
    As I understand it, the Cosmoline used for protecting them in storage can gum up the firing pin which is supposed to move freely. Failure to properly clean/check the firing pin/bolt can lead to a slam fire.

Pretty common topic in regards to the SKS rifle.
    No I have not experienced it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone experience slam-fire with their SKS? Or know of it first-hand?

Not referring to fouled firearm. It's about the bolt flying into battery, and the unsprung firing pin continuing on via inertia, and striking the primer with sufficient force to set it off.
    Last edited by Bang; August 18th, 2016 at 01:42 PM.

(Allegheny County)

In addition to the above...
    If you're going to reload for it, its a good idea to use military spec primers (they are harder/thicker) than standard primers. Also, make sure you seat the primers so they are below the surface of the face of the base.
    Toujours prêt

(Luzerne County)

Any rifle with a floating firing pin; SKS, AR, M1 Garand, etc can be subject to a slam fire. That said, I've never had one in any of my rifles. Just keep it aimed in a safe direction. Gunk can build up in the bolt causing the firing pin to "freeze" in the extended position.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    In addition to the above...
    If you're going to reload for it, its a good idea to use military spec primers (they are harder/thicker) than standard primers. Also, make sure you seat the primers so they are below the surface of the face of the base.

Likewise, the risk is supposedly greater with domestic commercial ammo. (Com bloc is safer due to harder primers)

I have owned well over a dozen sks's from many different nations over the last decade some I modified with a spring loaded FP and others I left completely stock after fully disassembling and cleaning every inch of the bolt and FP assembly and after shooting what feels like millions of rounds split through them all I have yet to ever have a slam fire.

Over on Survivors SKS where I have been a member for the last decade I think there has been 1 or 2 members who actually had this happen and both were due to excessive cosmilone build up in the bolt and FP chamber. Mythbusters also did an entire segment on this with the help of Murray who is an excellent well known gun smith in the SKS world who makes several different FP, gas valve and trigger options for the SKS.

Spoiler alert:

At the end they were unable to get the rifle to slam fire in any condition. This is a very over hyped issue that almost never happens with proper maintenance and almost never happens with shitty maintenance.

Been reloading for auto loaders for over 20+ years. Always used regular factory primers and never had an issue. I always made sure the primers were fully seated. I have noticed on some rounds that I have chambered but not fired, that some free floating firing pins do slightly indent the primers so never chamber a round unless you are ready to fire.

(Bucks County)

SKS's got their reputation for slam fires when some of the rougher Chinese ones came over caked with dried Cosmoline. The firing pins would get "frozen" and the new owners would not bother to clean them. At the range they would take their "brand new" rifle, load 10 rounds, and drop the bolt. They would go full auto with slam fires till they jammed.

If you keep yours clean it is not an issue.

(Bucks County)

Hodgie and SeaBee CO, that's the kind of experience shared in reply I was hoping for. Thank you very much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast