Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Arrow How to Remove a Stuck Case from a Resizing Die

How to Remove a Stuck Case from a Resizing Die

By bamboomaster

Well now you’ve gone and done it – you managed to get a case stuck in a resizing die.

Question: How the heck did that occur?

Answer: It probably had everything to do with your reloading bottleneck rifle brass.

The usual culprit is a case that was not properly lubed. It is also possible the case body was cracked or the head was bulged and you failed to notice. It could have been a widow or orphan caliber that was tumbled with other brass and never segregated. While the case may have appeared similar, the resizing die just let you know in no uncertain terms, “THIS DOESN’T FIT”.

However remote, there is also a chance that things were going so well on your press that it was just time for the reloading Titans to throw a spanner into the works just to remind you that you are a mere mortal and need to slow things down.

It’s not the end of the world, for there are all kinds of suggestions on how to remove stuck cases – and remarkably, some of them actually work.

But not these:

You do limit your options though if you don’t have access to a cryogenic lab that has the ability to freeze the offending case and die somewhat significantly colder than the capabilities of your 17 cubic foot kitchen appliance. (I have yet to hear anybody say “THIS WORKED FOR ME!”)

You further limit your options if in an attempt to save the “$5 + shipping” it’s going to cost you to send the die back to the manufacturer and let them mess with it, you decide you’ll feel better after you tear the head off the case with your Channel Locks.

How’s that working for you now?

Yes, over 100,000 cases later, I have removed THREE stuck cases during the 20+ years of my reloading life: two .30-06 and coincidently just yesterday, one Win 270.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr…..

Having what you need before you need it is always a good policy (which is why some folks here on PAFOA have five tractors), so here’s what I’ve used for 270 Win and .30-06 stuck cases. I store all of this in a one quart Zip-lock bag that I labeled with a Sharpie: “Stuck Case Remover for Dillon 550B”.

IMG_8502.jpg

1 – Drill (that stays in the drill case, not the Ziplock)
    1 - #7 tap and “T” handle for ¼ - ½” taps
    1 - #7 IRWIN drill bit (.198” in diameter)
    1 – ¾” x 1 ½” socket
    1 - 2”x ¼” threaded bolt
    1 – large washer .572 inside diameter to sit on top of the die
    16 – medium-sized washers to fit inside your socket (.338” inside diameter, .695” outside diameter)
    1 – 6” Crescent wrench

Even if you have never had a stuck case before (we know you’re lying, but what are friends for?) you probably have some of this stuff around or “Uncle Fred” can bring it over tomorrow. What you and he may both be missing is a really good time to bond with an uncle who needs a project and your realization that pulling a stuck case is way above your pay grade.

It doesn’t have to be this way since pulling a stuck case is relatively straightforward and whatever parts are missing can be obtained at your local hardware store or online. And one day, you’re going to be “Uncle Fred” so you better know your stuff…

OK, let’s get started (and I’m following you along on a progressive Dillon 550B):

1. Safety glass on – “check!”

2. Remove all powder, primers, nearby obstructions, and other dies from your press with the exception of the offending die.

3. Unscrew the offending die, add a few drops of machine oil (or Kroil, PB Blaster, a squirt of “Pistol Pro Mag Slick”, etc.) to the edges of the case, and re-insert it into the press from the bottom, case-head oriented to the ceiling. Snug the die to the underside of the press with the lock-ring. Put a paper towel under this die – you’ll see why in a moment.

4. Insert the #7 Irwin drill bit into the drill and proceed to drill through the primer pocket of the stuck case. If you don’t have a drill press, just do your best to keep the drill bit vertical. Wow, those brass shavings are going everywhere – good thing we remembered that paper towel…

5. With your “T” handle, #7 tap, and a drop or two of oil, proceed to tap the head of the case (which means you’re going to put some threads on the inside of the primer pocket). While maintaining a constant pressure on the tap, turn it ½ turn, then back 1/4 (helps case filings exit). Continue your work until you’re through the inside of the case. Shouldn’t take more than one or two minutes.

6. Fill the ¾” socket with the 16 medium washers (or however many it takes) until they are slightly above the level of the socket.

7. Insert the 2” bolt through the medium washers and socket and set on the large washer on top of press. Here’s roughly how an exploded set-up (without the press) is going to look. When oriented vertically, the 16 washers are not visible:

IMG_8505.jpg

8. Finger-tighten the 2” bolt into the now threaded primer pocket. Once it bottoms out, continue tightening with the 6” Crescent wrench. Socket set works fine too. If you’ve done this right, the stuck case will “magically” pull itself free from the reloading die. Raise your right hand, reach over your left shoulder, and give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back.

If not, better think about inviting “Uncle Fred” over for dinner….

Here’s hoping you never need this advice!

And just remember: “The worst day at the range is better than the best day working..."
    Last edited by bamboomaster; August 18th, 2016 at 09:11 AM.
    - bamboomaster

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: How to Remove a Stuck Case from a Resizing Die

I need this to be a YouTube video!
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Clarion County)

Good info as always. Not that I know anything about this, right. But thinking of some RCBS dies I have and possibly others. If unable to remove expander/decapper stem screw it up to get it as much of it out of the way as possible. Drill slowly until just through primer pocket. When case is free screw the stem in so it comes out with the case. May have to cut bottom off case off to remove stem. Found it easier to remove case this way. With my luck had visions of case ripping apart as I forced the expander back through.
    Hope thats clear?
    Last edited by cephas; August 18th, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Delaware County)

I just throw mine out and buy a new set.

(Westmoreland County)

It's not hard to do this. Bamboomaster has shown you all of the tools you need and has explained what you need to do. Actually, if you really think about it, your drilling and tapping the brass case where the primer usually goes. Then your going to put a bolt in there, and the bolt is going to pull out the brass case. So....in order for the bolt to do this, pressure has to be applied against the die as you tighten the bolt.

When you begin to do it.....it becomes very easy.

Do NOT cut the "bottom" off of the case. If you do that.....where are you going to drill and tap the hole?

If your going to toss out the die, send me a PM and I will gladly pay you the cost of shipping the die to me. It's much better than throwing it out.....look at it as "free recycling" and know that some poor reloader is using it somewhere.

(Delaware County)

Just joking, just joking........

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    Do NOT cut the "bottom" off of the case. If you do that.....where are you going to drill and tap the hole?
    Not sure if you're referring to my post. "When case is free screw the stem in so it comes out with the case. May have to cut bottom off case off to remove stem."
    The bottom of the case may need to be cut to remove stem after case is free of die.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Not sure if you're referring to my post. "When case is free screw the stem in so it comes out with the case. May have to cut bottom off case off to remove stem."
    The bottom of the case may need to be cut to remove stem after case is free of die.
    OH!!.....My bad. If I could only read AND comprehend at the same time....it would be better.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    But thinking of some RCBS dies I have and possibly others. If unable to remove expander/decapper stem screw it up to get it as much of it out of the way as possible. Drill slowly until just through primer pocket. When case is free screw the stem in so it comes out with the case. May have to cut bottom off case off to remove stem. Found it easier to remove case this way. With my luck had visions of case ripping apart as I forced the expander back through.

Hope thats clear?
    Ceph, totally clear for those who have had to free stuck cases in a dual-purposed (resizing and decapping die). Thankfully, the .270 Win case was stuck in a single-purposed (resizing only) die which made the job easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    It's not hard to do this. Actually, if you really think about it, your drilling and tapping the brass case where the primer usually goes. Then your going to put a bolt in there, and the bolt is going to pull out the brass case. So....in order for the bolt to do this, pressure has to be applied against the die as you tighten the bolt.

When you begin to do it.....it becomes very easy.

You definitely have a future in reloading - and many thanks for explaining it so concisely. Sometimes just a few words are worth a thousand pictures...
    - bamboomaster

Excellent advice Bamboomaster and Steeltrap