Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight paint

(Bucks County)

Default Sight paint

I was cleaning my sig p320 earlier today and noticed that the center of the white dot on my front post is all peeled off. There is still white paint around the outside edge but it's mostly gone. I shot the gun last weekend and it was completely fine. Anyone else have this problem ? I was thinking of trying the "sight paint" midway sells but I'm guessing it's no different than if I get a paint marker at the store...

(York County)

Default Re: Sight paint

The paint on the sights of my 92 has faded and taken a beating (it was my dad's and he bought it back in the late 80's)... I cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol and used a tooth pick with bright white nail polish. Just a little goes a long way. It's held up for over 2 years now.

Problem with a lot of paints is gun cleaning products can remove them. KG Gun Kote has several colors of site paint. They were going to come out with some glow in the dark colors but I don't think they are out yet.

(Lebanon County)

I have used the Bright Sight brand, in fact S&W suggest it, it what they use.

(Jefferson County)

We've been using nail polish for as long as I can remember when we needed to make the sights more visible.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

I have night sights on my P320 Carry and they're holding up great. I have used bright orange nail polish on my Taurus 85 front sight blade. I then added a thin layer of nail polish sealer. It has held up perfectly, even if I put Weapon Shield CLP on it. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol prior to painting, use a tooth pick, take your time, start with tiny amounts of nail polish, and lastly apply a sealer when done.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

Testors model enamels offers a neon orange and a neon yellow (the yellow is more green than yellow) that are very visible. The trick to making these paints "glow" in daylight is using a white undercoat first. Painting without the white base....painting a blued steel surface....the paint does not have any brilliance. BTW...I sent for glow-in-the-dark paint, comes in a kind of syringe, a tiny bit for $25. It is an absolute rip-off.

(Bucks County)

I think I'm going to just go with the nail polish. I figured that glow in the dark paint was over priced ... Thanks for the replies

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Testors model enamels offers a neon orange and a neon yellow (the yellow is more green than yellow) that are very visible. The trick to making these paints "glow" in daylight is using a white undercoat first. Painting without the white base....painting a blued steel surface....the paint does not have any brilliance. BTW...I sent for glow-in-the-dark paint, comes in a kind of syringe, a tiny bit for $25. It is an absolute rip-off.
    ^^^^THIS!^^^^

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I have night sights on my P320 Carry and they're holding up great. I have used bright orange nail polish on my Taurus 85 front sight blade. I then added a thin layer of nail polish sealer. It has held up perfectly, even if I put Weapon Shield CLP on it. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol prior to painting, use a tooth pick, take your time, start with tiny amounts of nail polish, and lastly apply a sealer when done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I forgot to add a white base coat part. That is VERY true. I did that to my Taurus 85 front sight blade too. I made a thread on it. Click here. Also I apparently used acrylic paint.

taurus1.jpg

taurus2.jpg

taurus3.jpg

taurus4.jpg
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast