Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clarion County)

Default Forgive me for I have sinned-case head seperation

Been at this for awhile and I should know better. Every manual I have on my bench recommends taking a piece of wire and placing a bend on the end, sharpening it, and running it up an down inside the case to check for thin spots. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...spot-problems/
    I did not. "Once" fired brass bought off unfamiliar source. Looked great in the bag. Primer seating wasn't real tight but nothing I haven't used before. Visions of tight groups danced in my head. However pressure can be a stern master.

Shoving a 45 brass brush up the inside of the stuck case removed it. After removal I saw a spot that appears to of been over heated at some point. Was not readily visible on initial inspection.
    Pulled remaining cases. Sure shortened my range time today.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Forgive me for I have sinned-case head seperation

I am in a long never ending project of prepping once fired military 7.62 brass.

I was told to check my brass with the paperclip method and I was like oh man, another long task to do. Sure enough I didn't find many but I did find some with lines or indents inside the case near the bottom, so I chucked them. Maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 of them.

(Bucks County)

You were fortunate if there was no damage to you or the firearm.

I never pickup rifle range brass. Pistol, yes, but never rifle. You never know how many times it has been reloaded, how hot, and whether it has been worked too hard when resizing.

For my own rifle brass, I keep it segregated by number of times loaded. I check batches regularly with the paper clip method. After a few reloadings, I'll take a case and open it up with a Dremel tool to inspect more closely. If there is no sign of case thinning, we reload again.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Been at this for awhile and I should know better. Every manual I have on my bench recommends taking a piece of wire and placing a bend on the end, sharpening it, and running it up an down inside the case to check for thin spots. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...spot-problems/
    I did not. "Once" fired brass bought off unfamiliar source. Looked great in the bag. Primer seating wasn't real tight but nothing I haven't used before. Visions of tight groups danced in my head. However pressure can be a stern master.

Shoving a 45 brass brush up the inside of the stuck case removed it. After removal I saw a spot that appears to of been over heated at some point. Was not readily visible on initial inspection.
    Pulled remaining cases. Sure shortened my range time today.
    Ceph, really glad you're OK...

Instead of chastising yourself, look at the bright side - now you have the makings of a powder funnel!
    - bamboomaster

(Berks County)

This is a known issue with once fired surplus .308, probably the majority of it has been fired in MG's with generous headspace. Inspect it carefully. It has happened to me several times as well.

I never pickup rifle range brass. Pistol, yes, but never rifle. You never know how many times it has been reloaded, how hot, and whether it has been worked too hard when resizing.
    Any reloader worth his salt isn't leaving any brass behind, even if I think I have brass going on it's last loading it is coming home with me to go in the scrap bucket. I don't know any other reloaders that leave ANY brass at the range myself.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer