Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Squib Load CCI Blazer .380

Took a friend shooting last Sunday with a Bersa .380 and experienced a squib load. Filled the mag up, first shot went off fine, second shot there was a soft pop and some smoke vented out of the back of the slide. Kept the gun pointed downrange for 50 - 60 seconds then dropped the mag and retracted the slide, the casing did not eject so pried it out and to my surprise unburnt powder fell everywhere. I pulled the slide off the frame and sure enough, the bullet was stuck in the barrel, about 1/4" forward of the mouth of the chamber, I was easily able to tap it out with a small rod and mallet. I don't know if I would have been able to fully chamber another round behind the bullet or not, it was not in the barrel far at all, and no way in hell was I going to try. Never in my life would I think that I would experience a squib load with factory ammo. Unfortunately, this was older ammo that I had long thrown the box away for, so I do not have the lot number. All I know is that is was 95gr FMJ CCI Blazer, the aluminum stuff. Just be careful, and if something seems off, take a second to look things over before you start shooting again.

Also, just to add, I'm not sure that squib load is the proper term to be used here as there was obviously powder in the case, it just didn't burn.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Squib Load CCI Blazer .380

I have seen at least 2 squibs with factory ammo.

Did you see if the primer flash hole in the case was unobstructed?
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I have seen at least 2 squibs with factory ammo.

Did you see if the primer flash hole in the case was unobstructed?
    I didn't. I just tossed the case to the side, and thought that I should have looked at it after the fact.

(Bucks County)

That's the risk in rapid-fire. Takes a damned sharp brain to detect and react to a squib when you've already committed to getting off the next shot. Probably the reason most indoor ranges say no rapid fire. Glad it was detected and handled correctly!

Squibs happen. I've seen factory rounds that just had a primer, get stuck in the barrel, or just not fire. Being factory does not mean they are always good.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Bucks County)

In the 70s many reloaders expressed the opinion that they carry loaded with their own reloads....saying at least it is known that there is powder in every cartridge. There is no way of finding that out about a factory round until it fails. Some argued that factory primers were more reliable than the primers available to the reloader.
    it all went yada yada yada for years until opinions went the other way...that factory rounds were the tits for a lot of reasons...some real, some imagined.

(Lancaster County)

I am fortunate to have only had squibs that prevented the next round from chambering and the slide going fully forward.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Squibs happen. I've seen factory rounds that just had a primer, get stuck in the barrel, or just not fire. Being factory does not mean they are always good.
    Did these cycle the action?
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

No, and tapping a round out of the barrel is not fun. But now I carry what I need to tap one out with me to the range. I've seen it happen to a number of people.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Bucks County)

It happened to me with my Winchester 30 40 Krag, but I found out after the incident that a 6mm round had mistakenly ended up in my 30 40 ammo box. There were three of us at the range the trip before and I can't really place blame on any individual, but it sure had me rattled.