Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Storing a Cerakoted pistol

I just picked up a RIA compact 1911 with factory applied Cerakote. I always spray my guns with a light coat of Remoil before placing them in the safe. I store them in the factory cases although I've heard some negative stories about some of the eggshell linings. I do this regardless if I think the gun is going to be in the safe for a few months or only a week or so. Should I be doing anything differently with my first Cerakoted coated pistol? I think if I asked to manufacturer directly they would say Im free to do whatever I want including wrapping it in seaweed and placing a dead fish on top of it because their coating is so strong. Instead of asking them though I'll bring it up to the real world here. Should I skip the topcoat of oil? For now anyway it'll pretty much be pulled every week or two for range time but will no doubt see an extended safe stay at some point.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Berks County)

Default Re: Storing a Cerakoted pistol

That stuff is ceramic and polymer baked on. Oil ain't getting through that. Lube the moving stuff and oil the bore.

(Indiana County)

I would still oil it just to be sure any exposed areas are protected.
    Eventually you'll end up with wear and tear and you'll want that oiled.

(Berks County)

Id stay stick to what you already do, you arent hurting anything with a coat of oil

(Northampton County)

I clean lube and store all my refinished firearms with remoil ,works fine on cerakote and it won' t give you any issues.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    I just picked up a RIA compact 1911 with factory applied Cerakote. I always spray my guns with a light coat of Remoil before placing them in the safe. I store them in the factory cases although I've heard some negative stories about some of the eggshell linings. I do this regardless if I think the gun is going to be in the safe for a few months or only a week or so. Should I be doing anything differently with my first Cerakoted coated pistol? I think if I asked to manufacturer directly they would say Im free to do whatever I want including wrapping it in seaweed and placing a dead fish on top of it because their coating is so strong. Instead of asking them though I'll bring it up to the real world here. Should I skip the topcoat of oil? For now anyway it'll pretty much be pulled every week or two for range time but will no doubt see an extended safe stay at some point.

I'd just oil the rails, moving parts, trigger group assembly etc. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that the remoil, which is what I use as well, would probably just sit on top of the cerakote.
    I can be bribed with pizza or free ammo.

(Chester County)

Although, I doubt it would do any harm to spray the cerakote, if that's what you're asking.
    I can be bribed with pizza or free ammo.