Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Huge Difference Between 38 and 357 Accuracy

I shoot 357 magnum like shit. I shoot much, much better with 38 special. I've been thinking that I should start at point blank range, fire a shot, take a few steps back and repeat. I'll be able to figure out my point of impact for 38 vs 357 that way or maybe just benchrest and fire at 2 different targets with the different ammo. I shoot 85% 38 special so I'm using my 38 hold when I shoot 357 and it's all over the target. Maybe the problem is simply that I shoot 85/15 38. Maybe I'm flinching when I shoot 357. Any suggestions for zeroing one gun for different types of ammunition? My wife hasn't shot the revolver since I bought her the Walther PPQ so I'm going to shoot way more 357 once I use up my remaining 38.

Default Re: Huge Difference Between 38 and 357 Accuracy

Set up at about 25 feet with 6 targets....have your wife load random 357/38....that will tell you if you're flinching.

(Delaware County)

When you shoot the .357, do you see the muzzle flash? It's hard to shoot well with your eyes closed.

(Indiana County)

Guaranteed it is the NOISE of the .357 magnum. When I want to shoot full power loads from a .357 mag, I wear ear plugs and muffs. The super sharp "crack" of the magnum will cause flinching every time. .30 Carbine in a revolver is really bad too. Try the double protection and see if your results improve greatly.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Monroe County)

Yes my Dan Wesson has a 38 zero and a 357 zero. @25 it's about 2" up. Real question is your groups,
    What are they?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Beaver County)

I read that heavier, slower bullets are supposed to hit higher and lighter, faster bullets hit lower. I shoot 158 grain FMJ 357 and my 38 ammunition is 125 grain. The 38 is slower and lighter so the point of impact should be pretty much the same but the 357 seems to hit lower. I bought 250 rounds of 357 when I got off work today so I'll go shoot this weekend and sandbag it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I read that heavier, slower bullets are supposed to hit higher and lighter, faster bullets hit lower. I shoot 158 grain FMJ 357 and my 38 ammunition is 125 grain. The 38 is slower and lighter so the point of impact should be pretty much the same but the 357 seems to hit lower. I bought 250 rounds of 357 when I got off work today so I'll go shoot this weekend and sandbag it.
    Anticipating recoil? Load an empty case in one hole, spin the cylinder and close it without looking. Fire as normal. When you hit the empty, you'll get a good idea of your faults.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Yes my Dan Wesson has a 38 zero and a 357 zero. @25 it's about 2" up. Real question is your groups,
    What are they?
    ^^^ this. Your zero doesn't matter. A difference of a couple of inches is irrelevant to getting effective center-of-mass hits at personal-defense distances.

What does matter is the size of your groups, which you said were all over the place. Work on the basics - sight picture, trigger press, and follow-through. Concentrate on the front sight, not the target. Press the trigger slowly, with increasing pressure, until the shot breaks. Continue to concentrate on the front sight and maintain pressure on the trigger until the gun settles down and the sights are back on target. Work on these three things, and your groups are guaranteed to tighten up.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    ^^^ this. Your zero doesn't matter. A difference of a couple of inches is irrelevant to getting effective center-of-mass hits at personal-defense distances.

What does matter is the size of your groups, which you said were all over the place. Work on the basics - sight picture, trigger press, and follow-through. Concentrate on the front sight, not the target. Press the trigger slowly, with increasing pressure, until the shot breaks. Continue to concentrate on the front sight and maintain pressure on the trigger until the gun settles down and the sights are back on target. Work on these three things, and your groups are guaranteed to tighten up.
    I do all of that and shoot fist size groups at 25 yards with 38 special but when I shoot 357, it goes to shit. I'll mix a 357 or 2 in with the 38 ... maybe the spent casings. I don't do the spent casing often or snap caps because I don't think it's a good judge of reaction. I flinch because I pull the trigger and nothing happens when I expect it to fire. I'll probably have better results with mixed 38/357.

(Northumberland County)

i feel you, i shoot .38 special FSP a little better then the .357 in my LCR, its the flinch that makes you shoot poorly with the .357 cuz its a very scary caliber when shooting out of snub noses!

i have gotten better with .357 i dont flinch as much i just squeeze and say oh well before it fires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast