Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Union County)

Default Noob looking for a AR

Hey folks. I am new here but I am starting to expand out from the pistol-only-world and have decided after some research that i want to either build or buy and Ar-15. I would like to do it sometime in the month of September.

My question is what should be some of the criteria to look and when buying an AR-15. I am going to the gun show at Harrisburg in 2 weeks and another in Pennsdale at the end of the month.

Thanks!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Noob looking for a AR

There is a ton of info within this forum about AR's...be sure to search and read through some of it, but in the mean time, what are your intentions for your new AR? Accuracy shooting, home defense or just for plinking? What does your budget look like? We will need to know these things before we can recommend something for you.

BTW, welcome to the PAFOA! Glad to have you aboard!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Union County)

I would like it mostly to plink and have for home defense if things really got hairy.

My total budget is going to be about $1200 giver or take a little if i need to.

Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

If you are looking for an AR for home defense get a Remington 870 or a Mossy 500.

Seriously, if you want an AR for mostly plinking, get a dedicated .22 upper. for your 1200 budget (assuming no optics) I would go with something from LMT.

(Allegheny County)

We had a rash of AR fever here over the winter.

These two threads pretty much hash out all you need to know, and most any question you could ask.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42...-ar-build.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/allegheny...-ar-build.html

For that budget you can build a kick ass AR and still have $ left for 1k of ammo, mags, and a sling.

go here for decent rifle kit, a few people here have used them:
    http://www.del-ton.com/

I bought a complete upper from RRA (complete uppers are still covered under their warranty)

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

Stripped lowers (the part that is technically the gun and needs an FFL) can be found plently of places, here one:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411534767

Anvil Arms will do free laser engraving if you want a custom image, their lowers are $100 + shipping.

http://www.anvilarms.com/

Built mine with a RRA complete upper, stainless barrel, 1:8, Wylde chamber, Anvil PAFOA lower, DPMS LPK, and SOCOM buttstock for under $900 including all taxes+shipping+FFL fees.

(Union County)

I have more 870's, SBE's, 500's, and .22's than I can shake a stick at. I am very tactical with the shotgun. I need another shotgun like i need another hole in my head.

Like I said I want to break into the Ar 15. I was thinking about one with the flip down sights and a rail that I could mount optics on.

If you would give me links to your suggestions that would be great too.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by reguR 22 View Post
    Hey folks. I am new here but I am starting to expand out from the pistol-only-world and have decided after some research that i want to either build or buy and Ar-15. I would like to do it sometime in the month of September.

My question is what should be some of the criteria to look and when buying an AR-15. I am going to the gun show at Harrisburg in 2 weeks and another in Pennsdale at the end of the month.

Thanks!
    Let me take a guess here and say you're looking for an AR just to have one. Election day is coming, speculation of another ban fills the forums and you haven't really put together in your head an exact reason what you want one for, but you know you do before it's too late.

Am I close?

I apologize if I missed the mark completely, but that's where I was when I first started looking and the more questions I asked, the more I had. Here's what I did when I first started looking:

Make a crude chart, nothing fancy, but if you want to use a spread sheet fine, but I drew some lines on a piece of paper that I could carry around. A lot of scratch offs and erases, but I didn't need a thumb drive and computer each time I wanted to add information.

Include the questions asked above to your chart. Budget, accuracy, purpose, and also add name brand recognition (i.e. bragging rights), what to avoid, must have accessories, can add later accessories. How much you will shoot, where you will shoot, what you will shoot. Do you want one ready to fire out of the box, are you mechanically inclined and like the idea of saying "I made this", do you have the time and space to build your own, would you be happy buying a complete upper and matching it to a complete lower to have a somewhat custom rifle that costs a little less without taking the risk of not having the time and tools to finish an expensive project?

Think about these things, give them a priority on your chart/spreadsheet, and the AR you want may drop through the filter and be a no-brainer. Otherwise, you will have at least narrowed down the choices and be able to ask a few more specific questions about those remaining.

ETA: a few other responses came in as I typed including your first thoughts on a budget. For $1200 you can get a high quality AR out of the box, for a couple hundred less, you can buy a seperate upper and lower, but essentially have the same thing. Putting them together is as easy as changing a light bulb. For even less, you can buy stripped parts, but then you're getting into an area where you better have a lot time available for learning and building to get it right.
    Last edited by str8shooter; August 24th, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Philadelphia County)

I was just poking fun at an ar15 for home defense in lieu of a shotgun.

I have a stag arms 16" chrome lined upper and stag lower with adjustable stock. I think I paid around 750 or 800 after all checks and everything like that. They have a lifetime warranty on all of their components and I have yet to have a problem with mine.

(Union County)

Very nice looking firearm! How does it shoot?

I think my main reason for wanting one is fear of the next election. I have visions of the bad old Clinton gun ban days returning.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

(York County)

AR's are quickly becoming the weapon of choice for home defense according to all the articles Ive been reading and from people interviewed like on guntalk. I like to shoot 5.56 all the time and I have it sitting nearbly at home for shtf. Because of that I got a carbine length for manueverability , but its still plenty accurate even at the 200 yard range. Theres TONS and TONS of options and add ons and goodies you can buy to make it "yours" buy a good name brand that you like then modify away to your content. Have fun with it and make sure you get what you want. You can always , as said , get a different upper for plinking if ammo prices affect your shooting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast