Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Describe joining IDPA and first match to a newb.

I'm considering joining IDPA. However I do not know where in my area local matches are held. I'd like to know that first before joining. But I'd also like to know:

-Once I join, how do I find out about matches?
    -How often do they occur?
    -How long are they?
    -Do they have any matches intended for people who have never done it before that are like a "dry run?"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Describe joining IDPA and first match to a newb.

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    I'm considering joining IDPA. However I do not know where in my area local matches are held. I'd like to know that first before joining. But I'd also like to know:

-Once I join, how do I find out about matches?
    -How often do they occur?
    -How long are they?
    -Do they have any matches intended for people who have never done it before that are like a "dry run?"
    You can attend a match without joining IDPA. Depending on the range, they might charge a little more.

~To find local matches you can visit http://www.idpa.com/ and right on the home page is a place to search for clubs. The closest to you would be in Lewistown and then possibly HJollidaysburg.
    ~Club matches are typically once a month
    ~Length depends on several factors. How many stages, How many competitors, Length of the stages, etc. Typically I find that most club matches are around 3-4 hours
    ~Some clubs do things like "Intro to IDPA" or something along those lines. In most of those cases you need to be a member of the club, sometimes not. Best thing you can do is just show up to a match and watch one day. Follow a squad around, ask questions. Personally I love talking to people that are new and interested. Me, I read the rule book, watched videos and just jumped right in when I felt comfortable with the basics. If you are a new shooter at a match, there is a safety briefing and new shooters in a squad are definitely treated a little nicer. Not that people treat the veterans bad or anything. Safety is the #1 priority.

I have lots of IDPA videos on my YT channel, please see for yourself.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Mifflin County)

If you're in State College, you have several choices, depending on how far you're interested in driving. We run monthly matches at Lewistown Pistol Club. This weekend is our sanctined Patriot match. While you wouldn't be able to shoot it, because you have to be an IDPA member and have a valid classification, you could certainly stop by to take a look around and get a feel for things. Let me know if you're intersted, and I'll make sure someone is available to give you a tour and answer questions. A club member has started doing weekly practice sessions, also. Not a match, but somewhere you could "get your feet wet" before a match.

The next options (and I don't know how different they are drive wise) are Keystone Sportsmen Association in Muncy area, and HOLLIDAYSBURG SPORTSMEN’S CLUB. Both run monthly matches, and also have people who can answer your questions and help get you started.

Bedford County Pistol League runs a match every Wednesday from April through October. It varies each week, sometimes IDPA, sometimes steel, some multigun, etc. If it's raining, expect to be shooting steel.

(Tioga County)

Most clubs that do IDPA have a match once a month. Most clubs are going to take a break around the holidays, so you can expect around 6-10 matches a year at a club active in IDPA.

Most club matches are going to start around 9-10 AM and finish up by 12-2pm.

Lewistown seems to be popular and is probably the closest to you. Hollidaysburg I have heard about. Keystone Sportmans Association is easy to get to. Shoot down I-80 east until I-180 at exit 212, go north to exit 5 and then north for 2-3 miles on the side road. Easy to get to. Their matches usually have around 25-40 shooters. Starts at 9AM and finishes around 12.

What you can always do is go to a match and watch in person without shooting. I have always seen clubs be accommodating to people interested in the sport. If you shoot a match, the first one you do I would not worry one bit about your time, just focus on learning how a stage is run, the rules and how stages might be set up and what you will have to deal with. Safety is a big part of it, so learn the rules with that. Every match will have a safe area where you can handle your pistol(without ammunition being present), otherwise pistols are empty and holstered at all times. You will only load your pistol on the line when you start the stage. There will also be a range safety officer behind you at all times on a stage as well.

IDPA is mostly simple, straightforward and a lot of fun. You will probably make a few procedural errors in the beginning but after a few matches you should have it down good. Always ask questions, most people will be very happy to answer questions or help out.

When you go to a match have a good gun belt, holster and mag holder. Electronic ear muffs are a help to hear commands, eye protection is required. A concealment garment is often required although I believe people shooting their first match are not required to have one. Most people use a fishing type vest for that. Most matches will be 100 rounds or less but I always have extra on me. I'd recommend at least 3 magazines minimum.