Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Does any police department still use revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Maybe.....if you hit your target.

You only have 6 rds, then a very slow reload compared to semi-auto. If you miss with your first 6, you'd better be running for cover to reload.

And you know how most cops are with their accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    That highlights a valuable point. The police cannot prepare for just one situation. Some situations, a single .50bmg round would be the right choice.

But the police need to be outfitted with the most versatile tool for the multitude of jobs they might encounter.

If cops jobs Only involved shooting, then you'd have much better shooting cops. But instead, they are a jack of all trades, master of none. I think I only cleared leather once this year. The rest of my time is acting as a marriage counselor, theft investigator, road pirate, computer expert, race car driver, security guard, PennDot data gatherer, human traffic cone, etc...
    Right, and I just wonder if a .44 mag would not be better, for most situations. Lets face it, despite the fact that cops mag dump, some because they are trained to do that (which, is frankly stupid). Studies show most threats are stopped with between one a two bullets, regardless of caliber.

Outside of most threats is idiots on drugs, religion, or armored. Bigger bullets do more damage. Which means: More likely to hit something important, if you hit something. No matter how delusional you are on bath salts, if all the blood leaks out, you stop.
    A 44 mag revolver with a 4 or 5 inch barrel has a heavier round, traveling at more ft/sc, than any semi auto round.
    With a good, long sight picture (for a pistol).

IT would also IMO, eliminate the need for AR type rifles in every car. IMO a .44 mag round is far, far better than the 5.56. That money could be spent on training, or good shotguns - because not much says hostile with foster slugs headed to them. (or cops could carry around awesome lever action rifles in .44 mag, because really it would just look cool. Especially for motor cycle cops. )

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I'd take it a step further, neck it down, and call it a 5.7

Even better, I would put it in a Glock.
    Because the 5.7 round sucks, even for a pistol round, and it sucks awfully as a carbine round. It is only useful in SMGs, and those are a thing of a bygone era.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Default Re: Does any police department still use revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Right, and I just wonder if a .44 mag would not be better, for most situations. Lets face it, despite the fact that cops mag dump, some because they are trained to do that (which, is frankly stupid). Studies show most threats are stopped with between one a two bullets, regardless of caliber.

Outside of most threats is idiots on drugs, religion, or armored. Bigger bullets do more damage. Which means: More likely to hit something important, if you hit something. No matter how delusional you are on bath salts, if all the blood leaks out, you stop.
    A 44 mag revolver with a 4 or 5 inch barrel has a heavier round, traveling at more ft/sc, than any semi auto round.
    With a good, long sight picture (for a pistol).

IT would also IMO, eliminate the need for AR type rifles in every car. IMO a .44 mag round is far, far better than the 5.56. That money could be spent on training, or good shotguns - because not much says hostile with foster slugs headed to them. (or cops could carry around awesome lever action rifles in .44 mag, because really it would just look cool. Especially for motor cycle cops. )
    Sigh........

No. No. No. And fuck no.
    We have to dumb stuff down for cops. We have to make stuff one-size-fits-all.
    Do YOU carry a 44mag ? Why not?

First, cops are not trained to "mag dump." We are trained to "stop the threat." Whether it takes one round or 30.
    Now factor in the crappy accuracy history for cops, and you'll know why we want more than 6 rds in our gun. That same accuracy issue is why you DO NOT want a revolver with a gargantuan trigger pull that kicks like a mule.

NYPD already shoots the annual quota of innocent bystanders for the entire US. Now put your mammoth 44mag in their hands, and in the hands of little female cops who are afraid of recoil. Will YOU go visit NYC?

I know, I know.... You'll scream "more training, more training." Let's face it, I'm a very rare cop because I have an IQ over 12. You can teach someone how to do something until they're blue in the face. But some people just can't figure stuff out no matter how many times you show them.
    Case in point: look at the "Composite Sketch" thread in the lounge. The cops who drew those were trained to draw those.

And we don't want to get rid of our ARs. We have them for a very specific reason. Will your 44mag penetrate body armor? Then there's the awesome added benefit of accuracy which we sorely need. We constantly see 99-100% accuracy scores with ARs, from the same people who shoot 70-80% on handgun.
    Last edited by jw34; August 11th, 2016 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456