Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Interstate gunsmith question

A guy that I work with, who won't get his lazy ass on here, sent his keltec-9 to the factory to be fixed. It was sent to Florida. They now won't send him the gun back. He didn't remember exactly what the reason was. Why would the company refuse to send the gun back to him? Even though it was not a purchase would it have to be sent to a dealer?
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Interstate gunsmith question

Don't know why. Taurus sent mine directly back to me.

Unless something has changed in the last year, they should be able to send it right to him.

He dosen't have a PO box for his only address does he?
    UPS or Fedex probably wouldn't be able to ship to a PO Box.

(Jefferson County)

Firearms may be sent back to the original owner after repair, including handguns, without a FFL to receive it - straight to the owner's doorstep.

Federal law only regulates interstate commerce and interstate transfers. Since the firearm has already been sold, which is the commerce part, and that there is no change or transfer of ownership - it can go straight to the actual owner. Even replacement firearms follow under the same rules with different serial numbers(some stricter states may have other rules though, not PA).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Only reason I could see is that he didn't give them a street address to ship it to. They can't ship it USPS because he isn't a FFL. Without any other info couldn't hazard a guess, unless something was so messed up that they considered it unsafe, but then they would make other arrangements.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

I talked to the guy today and they told him that it is a class 3 because it "COULD" be made into a full auto. Since he does not have a NFA license they won't ship it back to him.

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Centre County)

Huh? Just because a gun "could " be made into a Class III weapon does not make it a Class III weapon. ALL AR-15's can be made in to fully automatic rifles with the correct FCG but it is the FCG that is restricted, not the AR.

Unless he misunderstood them and they said it was malfunctioning and as such it would fire more than once with one pull of the trigger. If that is the case they should replace it. If he had messed with it causing this condition, they should give him the option of repairing it back to original condition (on his dime if he caused it) or scrapping it and give him a partial credit to purchase another gun. If it was caused by a manufacturing defect they should pay for the repairs or give him a replacement gun.

Also, you don't have an NFA license, you have a tax stamp which authorizes you to have a particular Class III gun. The tax stamp is tied to the gun absolutely, it cannot be used for anything else.

Something in your buddies story just does not add up.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Huh? Just because a gun "could " be made into a Class III weapon does not make it a Class III weapon. ALL AR-15's can be made in to fully automatic rifles with the correct FCG but it is the FCG that is restricted, not the AR.

Unless he misunderstood them and they said it was malfunctioning and as such it would fire more than once with one pull of the trigger. If that is the case they should replace it. If he had messed with it causing this condition, they should give him the option of repairing it back to original condition (on his dime if he caused it) or scrapping it and give him a partial credit to purchase another gun. If it was caused by a manufacturing defect they should pay for the repairs or give him a replacement gun.

Also, you don't have an NFA license, you have a tax stamp which authorizes you to have a particular Class III gun. The tax stamp is tied to the gun absolutely, it cannot be used for anything else.

Something in your buddies story just does not add up.
    I agree with you, something doesn't add up. He doesn't give me alot of detail. But, it is what I was told.
    What I was told is the gun was sent back for a general repair and he was notified that the gun could not be sent because it could be made into a class 3 weapon. I think I might have to quiz him further.

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    I agree with you, something doesn't add up. He doesn't give me alot of detail. But, it is what I was told.
    What I was told is the gun was sent back for a general repair and he was notified that the gun could not be sent because it could be made into a class 3 weapon. I think I might have to quiz him further.
    Hmm... a lil BS there if you ask me. Just about any semi-auto could be made into a auto in the right hands. And any long gun could be made into one given 10mins with a hacksaw.

Could be made into one and is an actual one are different things, which neither has any bearing to the matter of shipping from repairs.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Talked to the guy again today. The gun was sent out about 4 months ago. He went to the dealer recently to find out what was going on and the dealer told him that they have the gun. They had it for about two months and didn't let the guy know. In case your wondering it was at the Army & Navy in Allentown.

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Beaver County)

This guy sounds like the type you don't want to be around with firearms.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast