Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Kimber Super Carry Pro, or Ultra +

I want to transition to carrying 45ACP instead of 9mm. I want a 1911-style pistol with a full size grip but I don't want to carry any of my government models.

If you have either the Kimber Super Carry Pro or the Ultra +, share with me your likes and dislikes if any. Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Kimber Super Carry Pro, or Ultra +

Nice guns, but rather pricey options for a .45acp carry gun.

(Luzerne County)

This is my current carry pice. I also have an ultra carry. This is a custom tle.

sskimber.jpg
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Nice guns, but rather pricey options for a .45acp carry gun.
    Are there any others with a rounded butt, full size grip and 3" barrel?

My Cousin carried a Ultra Carry II for many years and we put many failure free rounds though it. It was a very nice shooter and carried well he ended up selling it to fund something else and like an idiot I did not jump on it.

The only one I see with a rounded but is the Super Carry pro however it's a 4" barrel. The Armory.com almost has the full line up in stock at very good prices. The Ultra Carry II's coming in at $699.00.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...ml/kimber.html

(York County)

No one has either of these two guns that can give me their experience with them?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluehen59 View Post
    No one has either of these two guns that can give me their experience with them?
    Sorry, not me, I'm not into Kimbers.

Maybe STI or Dan Wesson...

I recently went the opposite direction, from a Kimber Ultra CDP LG to a Glock 19. 7 rounds versus 15, and options for 17 or 33. The world seems to be getting more dangerous and I always felt underarmed with the Kimber Ultra. Also, modern ballistics of the 9mm are about as effective as 45 ACP. Modern ammo has 50% expansion, and in 9mm this yields .53 caliber. Add to this the fact that I do not feel the need to baby a $1600 gun versus a $500 gun, something I found myself doing with the Kimber.

BTW, the Kimber I had (Still Have actually) is a great gun; the craftsmanship was second to none. I have heard of issues with the newer models however, such as a the Solo. In any case, none of the guns Kimber makes have the capacity I am looking for now, so it is doubtful I would ever buy another. A definite downside to Kimber is the weight though, as they are heavy to carry all day. Unless you have the alloy frame such as the Ultra, in which case you will not be able to run hot +P ammo. And then there is the issue of maintenance. The springs in the Ultra need to be replaced after 1200 rounds IIRC (after 800 rounds in the Pro) and for the Ultra cost about 50 bucks. The G19 Springs last for several thousand rounds and costs $6.99. After several years, I started seeing these limitations and they were piling up, until this summer I made the decision to transition to Glock.

The Kimber Ultra is a great gun, make no mistake about it. I just wouldn't take it into war. And ultimately, this should probably be the question we ask before we strap any CCW gun to our hip for self defense or place it on our nightstand.

ETA: Don't count on Kimber Customer support if you have any issues. I had an issue with the inside of the frame getting scratched on a $1600 gun and Kimber CS was worthless. That is not something I will soon forget.
    Last edited by ShooterInPA1; July 30th, 2016 at 09:57 PM.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluehen59 View Post
    Are there any others with a rounded butt, full size grip and 3" barrel?
    Para's exec carry for one. I think Dan Wesson has a version. For half the price, the Kahr P45 will give you a lighter platform about the same size. Glock 30s is nice too.

(York County)

Thank you Shooter for the feedback. I carry a Glock 19 now and have been for a while, and I will continue to do so. I just had an itch for something new but I love my Glock 19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast